Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:58:23 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 setup YCM-40 Supermax campbell viper200 motor tuning questions  (Read 4866 times)

On the X,Y,and Z axes on My YCM-40 Supermax, there are three different results of the encoder readings per inch of travel. I'm using US Digital 1000 line encoders and the step multiplier is jumpered at 4 on the vipers. These figures are directly out of the Viper200's motor position output through the serial port on Windows Hyperterminal.
1" of travel on X axes =Hex reading from 0 to 757F  (which is 30079  in decimal numbers)
1" of travel on Y axes =from 0 to 8B02  which is 35586
and 1" of travel on Z axes =from 0 to 6387 which is 25479
How do I do the math to know what to enter as the "steps/inch"?   Do servo motors actually have "steps"? or is it dependent on the encoder resolution? Also on a side note, does anybody has a clue as to how to get the Viper200's to trigger an e-stop through the EPO terminal to Mach? I am seriously perplexed as to how to wire the entire EPO/E-Stop system. Any schematics would be greatly appreciated as I can deal with that!
I would be so relieved to bring this conversion to an end and get to machining!  Wayne
Re: Mach3 setup YCM-40 Supermax campbell viper200 motor tuning questions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:45:23 AM »
Ah  figured out the decimal numbers I converted from the hex output of the encoder readout on the Vipers. X axis is 30079 which would be the encoder output times 4 which would be right as the handle turns approximately 5.5 times in an inch, times 1.5 gear reduction, times encoder resolution (which in this case is 1000/motor revolution), times 4 which is the quad output of the encoder after processing all of the signal changes in the encoder electronics which gives the magnified resolution.   I am documenting this so 5 years from now when I am building another one of these dudes I don't need to have to think so much to figure this out on my own since it seems to be so easy for the majority of the people doing this stuff that it is essentially undocumented anywhere I have searched. (And I have searched for hours)  Anyhow, Hope this helps somebody someday!  {:)
Now off to figuring out the viper Estop output to Campbell board interface.  Wayne