Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:43:17 AM

Author Topic: Canned cycles?  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Canned cycles?
« on: October 13, 2009, 12:26:31 AM »
I am just starting out in cnc. I have been converting a Sherline mill and lathe to cnc. It is all running fine, accuracy seems very acceptable considering its size and my general use/ needs. Patience more than anything will help with something so small. Plus inexpensive and as a learning tool easy to repair. Anyway I have run plenty of single lines of code in the MDI screen. I have also run drawings via BobCad and such but never have I run a code that keeps cutting til a specific point. I want to make a vise like (Tryally) on youtube uses. It is a simple L. I have made it approx 7" long a 4" wide. It is squared and flycut level but I did it all individually via MDI. Just trying to side mill at the moment. How would I get the machine to say go?
Y1
X0
X5
Y3
y1.01
X0
X5.01
y3
y1.02
etc?
I just want it to cut an .01?  additional amount each pass with no intervention from me until a specified point or width is reached. I am guessing that is what a canned cycle is. Any help is greatly appreciated. Not really corcerned about the .01 as much as the formula etc.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
Re: Canned cycles?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 02:20:05 AM »
You can call a subprogram the number of times you want, and for the incremental of 0.01 I would say that a incremental move would be ok (G91 mode instead of G90).

Example:
G90 G00 X10
G91 G00 X0.01 (you will be at 10.01 not at 0.01)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:12:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply. So G91 is an incremental code? The way it was written here means it will cut an additional .01 for each pass in the x axis? What tells it to stop at a specific point? Can G91 be used on both planes at the same time? G00 is the calling up of the subprogram?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:18:36 AM »
After looking at your example further, I would think it would would move 10 units in/mm? once and then .01 once is that right? Does it stay at .01 til some other code is selected? Had the line G91 G00 X10 been the last line it would have moved in 10 unit increments instead of .01 increments repeatedly?