Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:53:55 AM

Author Topic: Cutting from Template  (Read 3363 times)

Cutting from Template
« on: October 11, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
So I have a 4x8 routing table and mach 3 and my new quest is to cut out simple glass pieces according to templates customers bring. I looked at systems using hi-def cameras to build high resolution pictures, trace and turn to g-code. That system scans the whole surface while I only need the outline, costing a lot of “empty” time. And so far it looks like it won’t be in my budget.

Years ago I build a small line follower “robot”, wrote the code in a basic stamp and off it went. By drawing an enclosed path on a large sheet of paper, it would go around and around until the battery died.

Now, if I take the template, put a piece of paper on the table and trace it. Can I build this “probe” and put in my router, get it to follow the line while Mach 3 builds a G-code file? I don’t need the 0.0001 precision, for glass, customers are thrilled about 1/64, very satisfied with 1/32.

I suppose, it could be written in VB (with a some learning challenges for me :) )
- Take a step in the going direction.
- Detect and correct if line is off center.
- Write coordinate to a g-file every 3 or 5 or 50 or so steps depending on the precision you need.
- Feed the g-file to Mach ,….

For some reason I think this can be done for less that $50 and some programming. I have the parts sitting around in a box somewhere.

Am I making sense?  ???
Am I reinventing the wheel here?  ::)
Am I in the right forum?  :-\

Lot's of questions.

Stefan
Re: Cutting from Template
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »
Have a look at the CopyCat wizard. With it you would lay your template on the table and manually jog the router around the path you want to follow, clicking on each corner or major feature. When its done the wizard generates a gcode program that will repeat that path.

There is a topic in this forum about CopyCat and its use. There is also a link to a nice doc on how to use it.

See http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10437.0.html
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:38:30 PM by Ron Ginger »
Re: Cutting from Template
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »
Thanks!
Stefan