Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:05:57 AM

Author Topic: Mach2 => Mach3 and Old PC => New PC at same time...  (Read 2923 times)

Mach2 => Mach3 and Old PC => New PC at same time...
« on: October 10, 2009, 11:10:59 PM »
Fair warning, total n00b here. 

I bought a used CNC router and the associated PC from a guy off of eBay; picked it up, appears to work like a champ.  Reading books to figure out what I've gotten myself into.

The PC he gave me was bought as part of the set, and the original seller / owner had preconfigured it to work with this CNC router, and he had not a clue as to what config was set up to make everything work correctly.  The PC is a very low-end machine, and I'm concerned that smoke will start coming out the sides any minute now.  So I bought a more reliable PC, built from scratch, and it's time to move the CNC to the new PC.  Also, the old PC is running Mach2...and I want Mach3.

I'm not willing to install Mach3 on the old PC because if it hoses the config I'm dead in the water.  That, of course, would be what most people call "bad."

Is there a somewhat painless way to get all of the config information into a new install of Mach3 on a new box? 

If it's not painless, what's the painful way to do it (and can I make somebody else's life easier because I'm darn well going to automate the process and I'm a programmer)?

Thanks!

Lee

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Mach2 => Mach3 and Old PC => New PC at same time...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 11:29:58 PM »
Lee,
You can just copy the XML files to the upgraded MACH. You will find them in the directory which Mach is installed. That will give you your original configuration. I don't know what version you currently have installed and if what i just said is true for all upgrades.
Since your putting the upgraded version on a new PC you can always just have both PC opened and compare all the screens in configuration. Definately check the port address as that may be different for the new pc.

You will need to copy the license files from the old pc also, I would suggest you contact Artsoft on how to have the license transfered to your name.

There may be some plugin's or screens that the guy was runningso that's a few more items to take care of.

Hope this helps,
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach2 => Mach3 and Old PC => New PC at same time...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:51:08 AM »
Afraid as you have Mach2 and want to put Mach 3 on the new computer you can not just copy over the xml. You will need to write down the config settings from the Mach2 computer then enter them manually into Mach3.

Hood