Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:42:12 AM

Author Topic: Parallel port problem  (Read 10570 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel port problem
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 10:01:41 PM »
HMM......
Recently with a new  PC / Mach version .028. I could not for the life of me get the axes to move.
For some goofy reason, Mach just would not take the PP address. IE; I would get a DRO change when jogging but no axis movement. Yes windows said all was fine, yep pin outs were correct, all that stuff..........I just kept changing between the two address and finaly ......after 2 hours...... it took.
Never had that problem before. I even remember the address  DC00 and the other was D880, it finaly took the
D880.

Now one critical difference is, i could not see the status change at the PP.

Which you are saying is happening.

If that's the case, then is the signal appropriate for all your downstream "stuff"?

Oh, BTW, we had a similar problem were the pin assignment for the drivers were not correct in the instructions.
Only 256 combinations, a number of hours later , had 2 out the 4 axis working. So just a thought......

RICH
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »
I am not sure what happened but after a reboot I get no change in pp pins. DRO's change but no change in pin status.
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 11:46:27 PM »
Now I x axis dir is toggling and step is very erratic but never gets above 2v. This thing keeps changing and is driving me nuts.
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 10:57:39 AM »
Parallel port is now working. The last thing that I did was change the pp address in the bios to 278 and set up mach to look at that address. That did not work so I changed everthing back to 378 and the pp now responds to mach. I hooked everything back up in the machine. I get all my dir signals but no step signal. All inputs work fine. The pp monitor led flickers but the motors do not move. I cannot see anything on my dvm and do not have a scope.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 10:59:58 AM »
You can put the voltmeter on mV scale and you should see some activity when jogging.
Hood
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 11:37:10 AM »
I had forgotten that I had pulled the fuse for drive ps. Powered up drives and now I get erratic movement on drives all the time. I unplugged the pp and movement stops so it is coming from pp. This is without mach open. Very erratic signal. Motors hardly even move. I am going to be out of the shop until tomorrow afternoon.
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 07:00:54 PM »
Nothing seems to work so I went another route. I had an older IBM Netvista, 1.8ghz w/512meg memory, that my son had brought home. I had to put it back together and it worked good. It had 2000 on it so I formated and loaded XP and downloaded Mach. It worked first time. I am going to run it for now. I will add more memory. Do not know what was wrong with the other one but I have a use for it. So I am good to go.