Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:49:35 AM

Author Topic: Tool height and tool change questions fairly green  (Read 3639 times)

Tool height and tool change questions fairly green
« on: October 10, 2009, 02:39:53 PM »
I am having all sorts of frustration on tool changes. Could someone point me to the correct information.
The Sieg support has not given me any assistance of substance.
I have a KX3. Its native units are mm. ( I would like to run it in Native inches but not sure what needs to be changed)  I am using the recommended R3.041
I go through and set up my tool table of two tools using the main screen (screen shot attached)
Make sure tool offset is off
l Set Z to Zero
I move tool down to touch
Press Set tool offset
Turn off tool offset
Go to Zero
Install new tool and set tool number and diameter
I move tool down to touch
Press Set tool offset
Turn off tool offset
Go to Zero
I have tried saving tool table and it seems not to change behaviour

Then I double check with tool offset on and both tools are correct. I have tested this by loading a tool then moving Z to 0.000 with tool offset on. Then changing tools and things seem fine.

I have tried setting tool tables after a reboot so it is in native units and after I have run a Imperial program.

If I run the tool test program tool 3 crashes into table. This program is a shortened program with the cutting removed and created using OneCNC. I might have something there wrong but my read of Mach 3 docs seems to agree with coding.

I know I am messing up but where??
Also how to I get the tool to go to a clear spot on tool changes. I cant seem to find where set this and make it work. I have on one screen set the tool change to be at 0 0 0.
The tool change does stop spindle and flash the change tool indicator. But it does not go to clear space.

Any help is appreciated as I am tired of cutting air or my tooling plate on tool changes. And running out of tools :-(
Thanks
Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Tool height and tool change questions fairly green
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:08:09 AM »
If you want to use Imperial as your native units then I would do that as the first step. You could do it two ways, the first is just change the native units to imperial  and then recalculate the steps per unit and retune the motors. The second would be to make a new profile and do the same as above. Peronally I think the new profile would be best as it would mean you still have your old profile to fall back on if you hit a problem.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 02:46:34 PM »
Thanks Hood,
I think I have got an imperial config now. It only took two tries. :-) No change in operation of unit but the tool offsets are in easy to read numbers.

I still am having the problem that my sample code messes up in tool change. I am using the simple one that just stops spindle and pauses till you change tool and proceeds. I hope one of the experts can help me out. I think I am doing a very basic operation. Change from one tool to another.
Thanks
Dave

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »
Afraid I have never used tool length offsets on a mill as I dont have a tool changer on it and its just as easy to wind up the knee. On my lathe however I use the offsets but afraid that is not much help to you :(
 Hopefully someone will come back and help you out.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:32:10 PM »
I am using the Tormach system that sets tools to a consistent height. It should be so simple and I am felling really dumb right now.
Thanks
Dave