Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:02:15 PM

Author Topic: Nothing to Feedhold Error Message  (Read 9775 times)

Nothing to Feedhold Error Message
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:04:21 PM »
I've just started to try learn how to use a Tormach PCNC 1100 mill.  It uses Mach3 as the control software.  I stumbled upon an error message "Nothing to Feedhold" which means nothing to me.  I've searched the forums and could not find anything that really explained it to me.  It is probably something really stupid, but I'm stumped.  I can move the table around with the jog commands, but it will not run my CNC code.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Re: Nothing to Feedhold Error Message
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
I've just started to try learn how to use a Tormach PCNC 1100 mill.  It uses Mach3 as the control software.  I stumbled upon an error message "Nothing to Feedhold" which means nothing to me.  I've searched the forums and could not find anything that really explained it to me.  It is probably something really stupid, but I'm stumped.  I can move the table around with the jog commands, but it will not run my CNC code.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

You get that message when you try to do a FeedHold and there is no move in progress.  Hence, nothing to FeedHold, since nothing is moving.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:56:46 PM »
To the best of my limited knowledge, a feedhold occurs when you either click on the [Pause  (spc)] button on the screen, or by hitting the [Space] bar on the keyboard.  Is there some other way that i occurs?  No amount of mouse clicking on my part seems to clear the condition.  It is probably something really stupid, but it has me quite stumped.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:19:20 PM »
It's not a "condition".  It happens, the message is displayed, and that's the end of it.  The message will remain until something else is displayed on the status line.  It does not disable anything, or prevent you from proceeding with whatever you want to do.  If you want the message to go away, hit Reset twice to clear the status line.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »
While I did click on [Reset], it did not occur to me to click on it twice.  I clicked on lots of buttons and none of them caused it to move forward.  It really felt more like a condition than a message.  I'll get another shot at the Tormach on Thursday and see if I can make further progress figuring out what I am doing wrong.  -Wayne
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 02:45:41 PM »
OK. I figured out what I bungled.  The problem was the G04 (Dwell) command.  According the G-code book I was reading (Peter Smid, 2nd ed.) the P parameter is in milliseconds.  When I closely read the Mach 3 G-code documentation, it said P could be measured in either seconds or milliseconds depending upon a configuration option.  I wanted to wait 2 seconds for the flood pump to come on,
so I did "G04 P2000" to wait 2 seconds (2000  mSec).  Instead, the Tormach interpreted "P2000" as 2000 seconds (~33 minutes.)  The "Nothing to Feedhold" message occured as a result of me hitting the [Space] bar while it was patiently waiting for a 1/2 hour pause to expire.  Of course, the solution to the problem was to switch over to "G04 P2.0" and everything worked fine.

Thank you for explaining what "Nothing to Feedhold" really meant.  That provided the useful insight that it was my dwell command that was the problem.

Thanks,

-Wayne