Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:45:46 PM

Author Topic: DynoMotion KFLOP  (Read 5308 times)

DynoMotion KFLOP
« on: October 01, 2009, 03:14:27 PM »
I'm looking for a way to get my count rate up.  SmoothStepper has a few problems (like requiring the cable to be pulled out and wait 20 sec. to get it to reboot after an error).  Galil works well but is a bit expensive.

So, what about the KFLOP.  Has anybody out there used these with a Mach interface?  How does it perform?
Re: DynoMotion KFLOP
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 04:05:25 PM »
I'm looking for a way to get my count rate up.  SmoothStepper has a few problems (like requiring the cable to be pulled out and wait 20 sec. to get it to reboot after an error).  Galil works well but is a bit expensive.

So, what about the KFLOP.  Has anybody out there used these with a Mach interface?  How does it perform?

Why are you worried about reboot time for the SS?  You should practically never have to do that....  I've been using mine for over a year, and I've had it crash maybe a half dozen times, and usually when I was doing things that had not been fully tested yet.  For quite a while now it's been quite solid.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
Re: DynoMotion KFLOP
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 04:18:16 PM »
The last time I used it, I was running a machine at the McCormick Center in Chicago at the Coverings Show.  Somebody leaned on the E-Stop and stopped the machine.  To get the SStepper running again required a complete re-boot of the computer.  Nothing else would work.  Not good and not ready for prime time.

I've crashed it a bunch of times if the tool change routine is interrupted.  Also, it doesn't seem to like the master / slave set-up either.  Finally, I have a homing routine that turns off the softlimits, homes, moves to position, and then turns the softlimits back on again.  Works perfectly under Mach, but not with a SStepper.

Anyway, I've found too many flaky things to believe I can use it on a production machine - fine for a home shop though!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:16:07 AM by Flipz01 »