Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:11:34 PM

Author Topic: spindle connection...  (Read 6540 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
spindle connection...
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:38:31 PM »
Hello, I've run into a roadblock, and am wonder if you all can give me some tips or a work around.  I have a B/C drive from Doughty Drive, where a spindle plate is first connected to the spindle via 4 screws on the back of the spindle, then that assembly is bolted on the C drives platter.

Here's a close-up of what I mean...

spindle with plate behind it:

what the C Drive with it's platter looks like:

Now here's my issue, I noticed that HSD had a slightly more powerful spindle at the same weight and cleared it with Doughty Drive to make sure it would work.  Now that I'm at the custom plate building phase, I'm noticing that the spindle is slightly wider than the one in his picture, and this width covers up the access holes to connect the plate to the platter of the C Drive.  Do you guys have any suggestions on how to connect the spindle to the plate otherwise?  I could really use the help here.  This has me really down at the moment.

Barry
Re: spindle connection...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 12:52:53 PM »
Hi Barry,  Can you take some photos of what you have or are these it?   Greg

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »
That is it, except the difference is that my spindle is wider otherwise it looks nearly identical.  The B/C drive is identical.  The spindle covers up the access holes in the plate that go through to the drive's platter.  You can see the bolts in the top image with the spindle.  They are big, circular, and go through the plate and connect to the C Drive's platter.  The holes in the drives platter in the lower image is what that big bolts go into.  The spindle I have is wide enough to cover up about 1/2 the access hole.

I've thought about counter sinking those bolts so they are below the surface, but that's the rub, the plate gets bolted to the spindle first with countersunk bolts on the opposite side.  I can do one, but not the other, brain hurts.
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »
How about an adapter plate that you can bolt to the platter first and then bolt your spindle to that?

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 01:24:10 PM »
The holes provided on the spindle are on the opposite face of what is shown on the picture.  The picture has the wiring harness shown it's opposite that.  I could I suppose turn the spindle onto it's side, so it's holes are now on it's side.  Then bolt a second plate from the side of the spindle plate to the bottom of the spindle (now side since we turned it on it's side).  This would add weight and possibly unbalance the Drive.  It might also provide a lot of stress from the side too.  I could add a third plate on other side as a supporter.  It would bolt to the side of the spindle plate, but only rest on the spindle.  That would balance the drive, but add more weight.  Brain hurts.  Hoping to find a better solution.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 01:31:43 PM »
Barry,  Take some photos of what you have and how it looks.  Together we may find a simple solution to this problem. 

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 02:29:41 PM »
I believe I've got it.  I'll have to use two plates, each 5mm, instead of one 10mm.  The bottom plate will connect to the platter, and the top will connect to the spindle.  Each plate will have extra large holes cut out to allow the bolt heads from the other plate reside.  The two plates will bolt together on the outside of the platter/spindle area.  In my head this should work fine.  I'll have to fire up my modeling app, and look at M6 bolt heads to make sure they are 5mm or less in height.

Whew, wrapping your head around this stuff can destroy your mind, where's that beer?