Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:46:04 AM

Author Topic: Christmas Tree - Clear Lexan/Acrylic  (Read 14275 times)

Christmas Tree - Clear Lexan/Acrylic
« on: September 26, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »
Well its coming around to that time of the year again, A friend of mine being a graphic artist put together this tree that was originally supposed to be printed on some really thick honeycomb card then cut for a shop display however i managed to get my hands on the artwork and converted it and reduced its size for my home made router.

He has agreed that i can release the GCode obviously provided its not used for commercial gain.

When i get the chance i will take a picture of the one I cut and put together, it sits in a round Oak base and the slots it sits in have some high intensity Green LED's that shine up thou the lexan causing the edges to glow.

Just a word or warning, check the end of the gcode as i'm not sure if it was this version or the previous version that had a little bug that caused the something strange to happen at the last cut.

The tree has been divided into 2 parts mainly because i do not have a tool changer in my machine, 01 is the scroll work on the inside and 02 is the outside profile. I have not added any bridges and most of the cut outs ejected with ease while cutting. I adusted the speed manually so as to get the best effect from the material and reduce any cleanup.

This was the 4th thing ever routed on my router that has been constructed from MDF and threaded rod, the router is a standard wood router that has been stripped back. although the maximium step speed was 450mm/min I was using the Linistepper drives and with a few modifications now have the unit running at around 1100mm/min.

Regards
Andrew Hooper
Re: Christmas Tree - Clear Lexan/Acrylic
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »
This sounds like a great decoration, Thanks. 8)
I would like to see a picture.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 07:38:29 PM »
PIC, PIC, PICTURE Pleeeaaase!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:54:09 PM »
Sorry it has taken so long to get a picture, Kids have been on holiday and have not had the chance.

Here are two photos, The base is hollow and has the green LED's in it with only one currently working however set up this way 2 X AA batteries lasted well over a week running all the time.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 03:19:54 AM »
Nice work Andrew - I have just got to make a couple of those for Christmas. Thank you for posting the code and pictures.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:34:30 AM »
What bit did you use to cut the acrylic,

Very Very nice.

Jeff
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 05:38:50 PM »
Thanks Tweakie,

Jeff, I had to improvise on the first one as I did not have anyting small enough to cut with. I used a modified drill bit that I ground down until it was about 1.5mm the sharpend up the flutes. This worked well however snapped off part the way thru cutting the first tree.

The next day the shops were open so I headed down to the suppy company and purchased a 1.2mm end mill and this sucker works well!

I found that by keeping the speed down and using several passes the legan cut reasonably cleanly.

Regards
Andrew
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »
Again, nice work, thanks for the reply.

Just wondering if you have any DXF file or any other drawing that I could scale, mayby to rout it bigger.

Thanks,

Jeff
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 07:34:01 PM »
I sure do, I think this is the one I ended up using but if you have problems let me know and will try and post one of the others. Unfortunately the original artwork is about 10Mb so its not practical to post on the forum.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 07:34:32 PM »
Oh, and please post a picture of whatever you make :)