Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:06:26 PM

Author Topic: How often do you upgrade your version of Mach?  (Read 3287 times)

How often do you upgrade your version of Mach?
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
I'm just getting started and I'm currently using version R3.042.020 of Mach that I downloaded when I first got my machine.  I noticed that the current lockdown version is R3.042.029.  Just wondering if I should upgrade.  I'm not currently having any problems.

What's the concensus? Do you always download the latest version when it's available?
Bill (the Cat) Shubert
Re: How often do you upgrade your version of Mach?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:42:02 PM »
I'm just getting started and I'm currently using version R3.042.020 of Mach that I downloaded when I first got my machine.  I noticed that the current lockdown version is R3.042.029.  Just wondering if I should upgrade.  I'm not currently having any problems.

What's the concensus? Do you always download the latest version when it's available?

If you're not having problems, I would leave well enough alone.  I've been using 020 since sometime last winter, and don't plan to change until V4 comes out.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:44:50 PM »
Bill, having used Mach for several years, I find the best approach is to only upgrade when either there is a new feature you absolutely need to have or there has been a bug fix that is important to you.

Unfortunately given the tight programming resources, Mach isn't tested that thoughrowly (sp) when new releases are created, so sometimes a new release will come along with an unexpected bug or 2.

I would look at the release notes link next to the download link though to see if between .020 and .029 there were any bug fixes you needed. I'm currently at 0.026 because I needed a subroutine bug that was fixed.

Good luck-

Paul T.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »
Most of my updating had do to do with threading on the lathe. Currently on Ver 27. SO as others say, if it is not borke for you, don't necessarily try and fix it with an update.
LOL
RICH
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 06:21:36 PM »
Thanks guys!   That's kind of what I had thought. 
Bill (the Cat) Shubert