Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:50:27 AM

Author Topic: Lathe Tool Offset and Program Rewind and G1 Help  (Read 4340 times)

Lathe Tool Offset and Program Rewind and G1 Help
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:33:57 PM »
OK so most of you will laugh but there was so much to learn on CNC lathe when I built it about 6 months ago I never bothered to use the tool offsets. One reason was that I tried using the tool offsets in DolphinCAM and they never worked so I was so frustrated that I never bothered to use them. So today I decided enough was enougn and I set up the tools in MACH, works good so far.

The problem I'm having is after I type in a tool, i.e. T808 and it asks me to hit cycle start and I do so, I go to mach wizards and run a program. Well for tool flex I usually always run a program twice, well this was a disaster as it reset the tool to tool 0 (zero) and it crashed so bad I had to reset my tool post.

So the question is how do I get it to keep the same tool after running a program?

Next question, for some reason every now and again Mach Turn stays in G0 mode. So let's say I'm going to cut G1F5Z-.5 it runs at full speed I have to restart Mach to get it to go normal. Is there any reason this happens? I have Mach3.42.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe Tool Offset and Program Rewind and G1 Help
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:50:50 AM »
It is normal to use Feed Per Rev when turning and I suspect that is the mode you may be in when you ask for a F5, check by putting a G94 before your G1 move and see. But really you would be best to have Mach start in G95 and code your feed as such.

Not really sure what you are meaning regards the tools resetting, only thing I can think of is you don't have persistent offsets or tool selections persistent chosen.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
Hood, could be it's in feed per rev, but I'll be jogging all day long, then bam it won't go at 5 IPM as usual. Oh well.

As for the other thing, let's say I set a tool T808, then go to a turning wizard, post the code from the wizard, run the Gcode, then the code rewinds and defaults back to tool Zero. So the first time I ran a code with my new tool offsets and tried running it again the tool crashed bad as it thought tool zero was in the holder.

What is the difference, "persistent offsets or tool selections persistent chosen."

I read the Mach Turn Manual and was a little confused. Here's the way I set up permanent tool offsets in Mach Turn.

Put Tool 1 in the holder > MDI T101 > Make a facing cut > Goto Tool Table > Type 0 in Z Part Zeroing Coord. > Click Part Zero Z > Click Touch Z > Go back to the Manual Screen > Make a turning cut > Measure diameter > Goto tool table > Type in diameter in X Part Zeroing Coord > Click Part Zero X > Click Touch X

Then for other tools I just use MDI and type in the number, bring the tools to the x and z edge and enter the coords in the part zeroing coord box, but then only hit the Touch X and Z buttons.

Does that sound about right? I would do everything from the Tool Table window but I can't turn on the spindle from there and I haven't messed aroudn with the screens yet.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 05:50:41 PM »
Kind of sounds right but I dont use the standard screen so not really sure what buttons are there, one big difference is I home the axis (to encoder Index) so tool1 is set with a home off distance in X and all other tools are set in relation to that.

The wizard shouldnt set the things to zero, unless that is its in the code and even then I dont think you can have a tool or offset zero..

Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 08:00:10 PM »
OK, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going through a bunch of useless actions. Can you explain what this means, "persistent offsets or tool selections persistent chosen."

Also there are a lot of other functions on the tool table page, is there any better reference to what they do?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 02:43:53 AM »
Persistent offsets and persistent tools are options on general config page.

Not a lot of info regarding the tool table other than is in the manual, I don't think any of the rest works anyway, all I use is Front or Rear and the X and Z offsets. One warning, don't mix front and rear, use one or the other or you will crash :(

Hood