Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 05:48:19 AM

Author Topic: Need help  (Read 7036 times)

Need help
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »
I just got the Pro version and tried the pocketing. For some reason it reverses it path at the same depth before it goes to the next depth cut. It's like cutting the whole thing twice. What am I doing wrong???
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 01:38:50 PM by Astroguy »
"Gravity, its not just a good idea its the law"
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 02:37:58 PM »
It is a weird looking program.  Attaching a copy of the pocketing tap that was completed with the Wizard.  Which wizard program did you use?  There are two versions of the A Suite of Handy Wizards - Ver. 2.79 and Ver 2.83 - I used Ver 2.83.

Did you create your rectangle from a dxf file or simply code it in the wizard. If created from a dxf file that could be the cause, but hard to say that is what happend.  The only other way to determine what you may have done is to see what you input into the wizard.

Bob@BobsShop
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 02:51:47 PM »
It is a weird looking program.  Attaching a copy of the pocketing tap that was completed with the Wizard.  Which wizard program did you use?  There are two versions of the A Suite of Handy Wizards - Ver. 2.79 and Ver 2.83 - I used Ver 2.83.

Did you create your rectangle from a dxf file or simply code it in the wizard. If created from a dxf file that could be the cause, but hard to say that is what happend.  The only other way to determine what you may have done is to see what you input into the wizard.

Bob@BobsShop

I used Lazy Cam 3 for the code. Attached is the DXF file I made in Autocad.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 03:00:18 PM »

Bob@BobsShop

It is susposed to be strange. It is the water channel for a cooling plate I am building. It is cutting the right shape the problem is that it cuts once in both directions at the same depth.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »
It doesn't appear that you want to use the pocket wizard for this project.  If the channels are the width of the cutting tool (and it appears that is the case) what you are wanting is a series of straight slots.  If the squares at each end of the slots could be circles then it would be a simple matter to use a slightly larger end mill for those items.  Pockets there could be doable, but you are still going to end up with radiused corners since you would be cutting the inside.

The dimensions may be off on the attached tap file, and My tool table is numbered differently than yours.  In my program the drilled holes serve as the circles at the end of the slots.  They are programmed with a .375 end mill.  The slots were cut using a .25 end mill.   Depth was programmed in one pass, ti could be done in smaller increments if you wanted.

Bob@BobsShop

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:24:30 PM »
Astroguy,
Looked at your tap file and yes it cuts twice at the same depth before Z goes to .050".
It also does that for each of the other cycles as it pockets down by .025" each time.
So for some reason, using  the 1/4" tool in LC didn't give you all the pathing in the offset, so you used a .249" tool to get them.
When you did that two passes are required at the same depth to fully pocket the area. Now when you post the code
to Mach, the paths are so close it looks like a single path, but it is not,. I would need to look at the code and see what if any difference there is in the actual moves.  Is that what you did??
RICH
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 09:05:12 AM »
Astroguy,
Looked at your tap file and yes it cuts twice at the same depth before Z goes to .050".
It also does that for each of the other cycles as it pockets down by .025" each time.
So for some reason, using  the 1/4" tool in LC didn't give you all the pathing in the offset, so you used a .249" tool to get them.
When you did that two passes are required at the same depth to fully pocket the area. Now when you post the code
to Mach, the paths are so close it looks like a single path, but it is not,. I would need to look at the code and see what if any difference there is in the actual moves.  Is that what you did??
RICH

For some reason when I use a .250 tool to cut the .250 channels LC will not do it?
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 09:06:20 AM »
Thanks, I will try that.

It doesn't appear that you want to use the pocket wizard for this project.  If the channels are the width of the cutting tool (and it appears that is the case) what you are wanting is a series of straight slots.  If the squares at each end of the slots could be circles then it would be a simple matter to use a slightly larger end mill for those items.  Pockets there could be doable, but you are still going to end up with radiused corners since you would be cutting the inside.

The dimensions may be off on the attached tap file, and My tool table is numbered differently than yours.  In my program the drilled holes serve as the circles at the end of the slots.  They are programmed with a .375 end mill.  The slots were cut using a .25 end mill.   Depth was programmed in one pass, ti could be done in smaller increments if you wanted.

Bob@BobsShop

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:58:09 AM »
Remember that your trying to pocket something and the maching needs to not cut outside of the pocket.
Just because you drew something dosn't mean, based on the tool selection, that you can machine it.
You need to take into consideration the tooling when designing the piece.
See Bob's comment.
RICH
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »
Yes, I see you are right. I am still learning and it makes sense now.

Remember that your trying to pocket something and the maching needs to not cut outside of the pocket.
Just because you drew something dosn't mean, based on the tool selection, that you can machine it.
You need to take into consideration the tooling when designing the piece.
See Bob's comment.
RICH