Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:07:25 PM

Author Topic: Softlimits - Message  (Read 11083 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Softlimits - Message
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »
OK so what you are saying is your X axis when referenced is 3 inch past the spindle centre so that would be minus 6 in Dia mode. You then go to 6 in Dia mode and that puts your tool on spindle centre so you zero the axis. OK so if thats correct what you want to do is this, go to homeing and limits and enter -6 for Home Off on the X. Next reference your machine and the DRO should read -6 for the X when homed and looking at machine coords. Go back to normal coords and enter -6 into the DRO. Now when you command a G0X0 your tool should be on spindle centre. I have just tried this and it seems to stop the limits warnings.
The home off is the usual way to set up the X axis to put the tool on zero when homing.
Hood
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 10:39:01 PM »
Yes, correct.
I did as you say and understand why but still have the problem.
If you would kindly do 1 more test for me, I will hang this up before I go totally nuts.

1. Load the tap.
2. Do as you have in your last post and while on normal coords enter +6 in the Z DRO.
3. Put the DRO's on "Machine" and leave them there.
4. Soft Limits OFF, go to Auto and run 1 part.   
5. I then single stepped through the entire program and recorded the max and min moves in all 4 directions in "Machine" coords.
   They were :         X-2.75                   Set the Soft Limits as in the attachment.

Z-6.5               Z-5.89

X-2.39
6. Turn Soft Limits ON and jog in all 4 dirs. to verify that they work perfectly as per the settings and extend WELL beyond the program.
7. Go to Cycle Start and if no WARNING pops up... I'll EAT MY HAT.
Just please let know what you find.......I may need to get some CATSUP !
Thanks Hood,
RC
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:41:33 PM by Overloaded »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 04:35:42 AM »
RC
When I wrote my last post it was after 1am here and I was making more cockups than I usually do. Looks like this is exactly the same thing that affected Mill. Mill was sorted out but looks like turn wasnt. I dont use softlimits on my lathe, there is no real point because with a front post, tailstock, rear post etc I could never configure the limits to be of any use, however I will give them a try and see what happens. Safe to say though your head is going to stay warm.

Hood
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »
So ....It is UNfixed.
Well....it's only 1 extra mouse click to shut-up the warning and continue as normal.
And they do work well when jogging and while the program is running.
Better than no limits at all.
Thanks much Hood,
Over and Out,
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 09:08:47 AM »
Yes, just set them up on my lathe, put in some code and yes I get Soft Limit on X min Warning. I will ask Brian to put it on his to do list but dont expect it will be near the top of the list as I think hes fairly busy:)
Hood
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »
No prob Hood,
I'm sure there are FAR higher priorities than this.
Thanks MUCH,
RC