Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:56:55 AM

Author Topic: SS Locking up mach3  (Read 13338 times)

SS Locking up mach3
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »
I was jogging my mill when all jog's stoped working and the message popped up "Timeout Error Getting Data" from SS. I had two choices,,push OK and it pops right back up, click the X, message goes away but Mach3 is locked and not responding?

Now when ever I start up Mach3 I get this same message,,Mach3 locks up and nothing. I have shut down the computer, restarted everything, samething.

Device Manager says SS is working properly???Shows how much Windows knows.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: SS Locking up mach3
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 08:36:02 PM »
Turn off everything else on you machine, now try it. If that does not work try a new USB cable. It sounds like there is a poor connection between the PC and SS.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:08:48 PM »
thanks Jeff, not sure what you mean by turning everything else off. I run the computer with everything I don't need shut off, since it is used for gaming also.

Tried a different USB cable, samething. I deleted mach3 and SS software. Reloaded both and it started to work again. That lasted for about five minutes while I was jogging with keyboard makeing some simple cuts. Then same thing, so took out SS, reloaded mach3 and replaced with a printer cable. No problems then.

Guess I will just keep the printer cable for now.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:49:43 PM »
Are you using the latest lockdown of Mach and latest SS plug-in? (I don't think that will effect your problem though.)

As far as turning everything else off I was meaning just run the SS, turn off the spindle, steppers etc. That way you can see if the problem is with the SS/PC or from noise from the machine.

It sounds like some noise from your machine is getting into the SS. I'll send you a PM with another idea to try.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:25:15 PM »
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 12:19:49 PM »
Jog, G-code execution works fine with SS, but:

If I give a manual G-code command, and I change the FRO setting by clicking on + button multiple times to increase feedrate, then timeout message comes...
Is it because I change it too quickly?
I am planning to have a pendant, and I wonder what will happen, if I use wheel for FRO settings, I am afraid the same issue will rise...
(Latest Mach version and SS plugin was downloaded (from warptech site) 2 weeks ago)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:46:26 AM »
I have used SS for a couple years with no problems until today. While jogging into position, the servos would not stop and I had to ESTOP to halt motion. Mach 3 main screen displayed (Not Responding) and I had to task manager out to quit and restart. Mach 3 and SS come back for about 1 minute then Mach 3 stops responding again. The charge pump stays active during this problem and it is a bit of a hazard since Mach 3 is not really pumping! I downloaded the latest code from Warp9 and Mach3 site, reinstalled everything, and the problem remains. I have to restart the CPU to recover so Mach 3 can recognize the USB SmoothStepper. I have already tried a different USB cable and am not running through an external USB Hub. This problem just occurred with no changes to my system or config files. I have proper grounding and it use to work flawlessly until today. Did SS or Mach3 fail? What more can I do to resolve the problem?
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 01:25:33 PM »
I think SS is the culprit because I loaded everything up fresh on another computer and while the Device manager shows Smooth Stepper properly in its list, as soon as I launch Mach 3, it asks for the output plug-in, I select SS and the system locks up tight. Won't allow kill process to quit, must restart. Mach 3 runs fine with its parallel port interface, but now two computers have been locking up with SS. What's the next test I can perform? Please help.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 04:28:39 PM »
Well, what is the status of the three LEDs on the SmoothStepper? Have you tried a new USB cable?

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:34:56 PM »
Thanks Jeff for helping. I got Mach3 to load up with the SS plug-in, a brand new USB cable and the SS board itself with no external connections. When Mach 3 is launching the blue and red LED glow solid. Once Mach3 screen is up and running, the blue and green LED glow solid, while the red LED flickers at a constant rate (about 20Hz). So far all is well... if I press the Mach3 RESET a couple times, the SS red momentarily stops flashing but recovers, a few more presses of the RESET and the red LED stops flashing and I'm left with a solid blue and green LED, and an unresponsive Mach3 that requires a restart to recover. I have tried 3 different versions of Mach3 and the various USB drivers and the Mach3 plug-in, and all behave the same way with the SmoothStepper. Interestingly, the red LED will keep flashing as long as I don't interact with Mach3.