Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:27:17 AM

Author Topic: Basic questions  (Read 5350 times)

Basic questions
« on: September 01, 2006, 08:53:06 PM »
Hello all,
This is new to me and I have a couple of questions.

1) What are the recommended PC operating system requirements to run Mach 3?

2) Will Mach 3 accept AutoCad drawings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to CNC but I've been doing CAD for a long time and i'm looking to set up a CNC mill.

Thnaks
Re: Basic questions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 08:39:53 AM »
1Ghz or better and it should be a desktop computer

There is a program called LazyCam that is free with Mach3 and will take in 2d DXF's

Hope that helps
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 04:28:09 PM »
If I'm correct CNC will works like this.  I create an AutocAD drawing save it as a .dxf file, open with LazyCAM then Mach 3 will write the Gcode from the lazyCam file.   Is this correct.

Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 10:06:28 PM »
That is it in a nutshell... but there are many little steps that need to be done as well :) we can help you with this
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 11:22:40 AM »

I work with 1/4" thick small pieces of acrylic/plexiglass and I'm looking to get a small cnc machine. I see these Taig 4 axis models selling on ebay for around $2,000 and I'm thinking about getting one. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about them or do you recommend any type of small machine that would only cost a couple of grand?

Thank you so much for the help.

Offline Psad

•  82 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 02:03:29 PM »
google taaig and sherline.  i use the sherliine wiith .250 cutter.  !/4 plex cuts at about 2"/,minute without stalling or Hoggin machine too bad.  Works well for mel

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »
Not trying to change the subject but, Psad,  what spindle rate and are you using a 2 or 4 flute bit for plexiglass? I have been wondering what to use I am getting ready to do some acrilic sheet fabrication and didnt know where to start , I will be using TUFFAK brand poly .250 sheet as well ..
   THanks

Offline Psad

•  82 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 08:00:48 AM »
actually using 3 flute (purchased form sherline).  don't know the speed. but usually run about as fast as i can without melting plastic.  for nice clean edges smooth up with scotchbrte then fire polish with a propane torch.  Gives a nice edge. Practice a few times cause it's easy to melt with that much heat.  Kinda like spary painting pass the torch over the edge serveal times until you get what you want don't hold there.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 04:03:22 PM »
Garyv,
Be careful if you plan on flame polishing acrylic edges with a propane torch. It is very tricky to get a nice polished edge without bubbling the acrylic, but it is possible to do.  I have tried it so many times and It always bubbles on me. It's from the impurities in propane, but if you use a hydrogen/oxygen torch that gives you the best polished edge. No impuriteis in the gas causing bubbles. You can also polish edges with a buffing wheel that turn out nicely.