Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:59:53 AM

Author Topic: Button style tool holder???  (Read 14987 times)

Re: Button style tool holder???
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 07:07:34 PM »
As for everyones programing comments. I do a lot of my programing by hand so tool comp is not a problem.

That's where the comp IS a problem......hand coding
Mach can't handle it. (unless it's fixed now)
CAM can.
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
Overloaded. What I meant is when I hand code. I just program the tool path so it is comped already so I dont have to use the tool comp function. Its a pain, but it works.

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 11:01:18 PM »
Cool.
 Assuming then you've read ch.9 in the Turn manual.
Quite a bit of math envolved to hand code a complex profile correctly when using a radiused tip.
But you'll probably be close enough for art work.
It's a shame Mach doesn't do it for us......as planned......yet.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 11:06:45 PM »
I do alright.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »
I wonder why every time someone makes a comment about people doing art work, they have to say something like,

"But you'll probably be close enough for art work"

Its kind of insulting to think that some of us who are craftsmen just like others out their making utilitarian objects, somehow have less dedication to our work just becuause we are making things that you look at rather than use.

any one else got any thoughts on this.

CB

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 10:19:01 PM »
Yes,
I know craftmanship when i see.

Now artwork is a different story. Remember going back to a museum in Amsterdam. Trying to appreciate the noted painting, i looked at it sitting on the floor, laying on the floor, upside down while on my head, looking between my legs with back end towards the painting, looked at it every which way i possible could for at least a half hour. Finaly the person would takes care of the museum came over and asked if i had any comments on the paiinting as he just couldn't help notice me admiring the great work of art. I told him it looked like crap in my mind ten years ago, and now that i was more knowledgeable and mature, it still looked like crap to me. He said, since you are as nuts as the guy who painted it, here is a free pass for the next time you visit, and also enjoy your remaining five minutes in the museum. Can you imagine that!  :D

RICH
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 08:36:38 AM »
Haha, yeah well I have had many, many instances like that in museums myself. But the point I was getting at is that creativity and craftsmanship are not mutually exclusive from one another and we shouldnt assume that because something is made for sheer aesthetic reasons, it lacks craftsmanship. (the painting may be ugly, but is it a well crafted painting).
As for whether a particular work of art pleases our aesthetic or not, that truly is an individual thing, it all comes down to what we are sensitive too.
But without craftsmanship, an artist cannot truly realize his vision to begin with. I have wanted to scream many times when I see something in an art gallery at a distance that looks intriguing, only to realize upon closer inspection how poorly it was constructed and how little the artist truly understood about the materials he was working with. So let us not confuse bad art or poorly crafted art for all art.

CB

vmax549

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 11:00:16 AM »
I think the main point IS with artwork IF you were a few .001" off no one will even notice, probablu not even the creator and the finish product will look as great as it is.

With a machined "part" a few .001" could easily turn it into scrap metal and Waste all that machining time to boot.

Just a thought, (;-)TP
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 11:20:28 AM »
I suppose, but a few thou off and my parts dont fit together either. so i dont see the difference. stuff still needs to fit. I guess if you are referring to non critical surfaces but I think that stands with regular parts as well. If anything, I am sloppier when I am making functional jigs and stuff, I got a number of set up plates with farmer welds all over them.

CB
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 03:04:22 PM »
A
I got a number of set up plates with farmer welds all over them.

CB

You're cracking me up, you want everybody to be PC when talking about artists but then you take a dump on hayseeds.

Paul T.