Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:16:27 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 quits in the middle of a program?  (Read 4728 times)

Mach3 quits in the middle of a program?
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:10:46 AM »
I'm trying to make a part in a router.  The router is controlled by a gecko 250.   Part way through the program the router comes to a sudden stop and the condition abnormal - axis not refed to normal.  Nothing in the program in the area of where it stops looks abnormal.   If I try to restart the program and it may or may not run properly.    The program was produced by Rhinocam. The program simulates fine in Rhinocam.  I haven't a clue as to what is happening.   Any insight appreciated.

Jack

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 quits in the middle of a program?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:28:01 AM »
Do you have limit switches? If yes then it could be you have noise on them and they are momentarily triggering, try setting the Debounce interval up to 2000 and see if it goes away. If it does then reduce the debounce number until it again causes a problem them bump up a bit. Ideally you should sort the problem by checking the limits wiring is properly shielded and grounded.
 Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:40:29 AM »
Hood,

Thanks for your reply!!!   Yes, I do have limit switches and that sounds reasonable to try.   

Where do I find the "debounce?

Jack

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:44:13 AM »
debounce interval is on General Configs page top right or there abouts.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 12:09:59 PM »
Hood,

Thanks, will check it out but......

Often we overlook the obvious and I may have done just that.    In thinking about the problem I was wondering if the computer could be the culprut.   Then looking around I noticed that I had the computer, light, router, vacuum, and air cleaner running on the same circuit probably drawing enough to bother the computer but not trip the breaker.   Time to see if this is the problem.   I got out an extension cord and got a couple of the big draws off the circuit.   Ran the 4 programs w/o a problem.

I'm still going to check out the debounce but I thought this info might be useful to you and others.   Something to consider in a set up when there are problems.

Thanks for your effort!!!!

Regards,

Jack
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 01:34:38 PM »
Sorry to keep going on about it but electrical leakage can also trigger a port. They need very little current flowing out to ground the pin and cause a trigger. This is especially true in case of older machines with damp wiring. check the resistance of the conductors to earth, and think about installing a relay, triggered by the limit switch and located in a nice dry box; and the relay contacts triggering the pin via a 1k resistor. This means all the pin can see is nice high resistance, or a nearly complete short. This is the problem I had with my Excel mill and I've used an opto-isolator but the principle is the same. Good luck :)