Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 04:10:20 PM

Author Topic: Ku band power divider (~10 GHz)  (Read 9247 times)

Ku band power divider (~10 GHz)
« on: August 26, 2009, 09:15:57 PM »
My usual machining supplier let me down badly last week, letting me know on Friday afternoon that the parts I'd ordered two weeks ago had been junked in making them by a combination of last-minute rushing and crappy programming. So i had to program the Y-shaped waveguide section in, run the electrical tests on it as  a bare block with a cavity, program the back side, foam-run it, cut the whole thing in metal, paint, pack and ship across country by Monday lunchtime.

This is the inside of the thing, it's a y-shaped waveguide designed to split power evenly between two outputs for a hot-standby satellite reciever. Tolerances are low in here.

This is the outside of it, trimmed and assembled. Those are M4 screws. The whole thing is about 75mm long, maybe 85mm wide, and very light. (long being along the waveguide port axes)

I did the drilling and edge trimming on the Bridgeport as this was needed quickly but production ones will have a jig set and it'll be full CNC all the way apart from the tapping. The bad news is that I spent the entire weekend going at it like a madman, and spent Monday in bed. The good news is that it went out on time :D even if it was hung up in the cab of a van so that the paint could dry en route.

Mach performed amazingly well throughout, and being able to run a copy on my laptop as well as the machine allows me to take work home and code off-site. just as importantly the big Excel worked well, although I could do with a new cutter soon, this one's been through a lot, so to speak ;)

Best of all I have the capacity to make my own now ... no more pigs' ears and a better bottom line for me. Nice!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Ku band power divider (~10 GHz)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:28:18 AM »
Nice indeed !.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 10:21:37 AM »
Friday afternoon eh? OUCH! I bet you weren't a pleasant person to be around after that kick in the head. At least it was something you were able to make yourself, you did get it out on time, AND you can kick the other guy to the curb.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:23:20 PM »
well done man! my life exists from one last minute job to the next so i can relate!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:47:21 AM »
I think they saved the Enterprise with one of those on an episode of Star Trek...

Very cool work!

Cheers,

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:51:55 AM »
Doesn't it usually seem like the emergencies happen on Friday afternoon.  I can't tell you how many emergency shots I've worked on over the weekend like that.  Thank God for overtime though;)