Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:17:15 PM

Author Topic: Isel Gantry Machine and Mach 3  (Read 3611 times)

Isel Gantry Machine and Mach 3
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:07:56 AM »
Hi!
I´m pretty confused about Mach 3 although i´ve heard great things about it.
I have a 3 axis gantry machine with a controller called "P4". (see attached link)
http://www.solectro.se/Archive/Documents/Produktblad/P4_komp_1.pdf
I don´t like the program that came with it (galaad) and i have plans to start using Mach 3 instead.
Is it possible to use Mach 3 with my controller without changing the hardware, i mean if galaad can control
my machine now there should be a way to make it work with Mach 3!?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:18:55 PM by Gadget »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Isel Gantry Machine and Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 04:26:35 PM »
Afraid the manual is not in English so I dont know for sure but it certainly looks like it connects via RS232 so if it does then you can not use it as is with Mach.

You should be able to use the drives and motors if they accept Step/Dir signals  but rewiring will be required.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Isel Gantry Machine and Mach 3
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:05:13 PM »
I am only guessing here, you need to find out if the drives will take a step and direction.

I have a different controller that came with a machine we scrapped for parts. The four drives in it were meant to be run from a program which used the RS232 to flash the memory on the drives. It was a high end robotics machine.
After talking to the manufacturer, he said yes they will take step and direction, but the drives are just not meant
to run in that manner, and even if you get them to work i would not be satisfied. May be applicable to yours also
so maybe talk to a tech rep of the company.
FWIW,
RICH