Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:01:36 PM

Author Topic: Unable to connect to CNC  (Read 8961 times)

Unable to connect to CNC
« on: August 25, 2009, 11:25:40 AM »
I'm new at this and know this may sound stupid BUT...  I purchased a cnc machine (router) last year and Mach 3 but was unable to use them due to work and health reasons until now.  The CNC machine (ROUTER)is homebuilt but was checked out using Mach 3 before being shipped to me.  My PC is running on XP, when I went to connect the CNC to the PC, nothing happened.  I went through the manual and tutorials but could not get the two to communicate (I believe).  Here is what I set up:
1. Checked the COM Port address: 03F8 - 03FF   Changed MACH 3 port to 0x3f8 (also 0x3FF)
2. Set motor pins to those specified in CNC setup provided by CNC seller (X=2,3; Y=5,6; Z=8,9) I also double checked them by physically looking at pin connections inside controller.
3. All the MAX NC modes are disabled
4. I also checked the new cable with an ohm meter and all the pins check out good.
5. When the CNC Machine is in standby mode, the motors are warm and the Y motor is warmer than the other two (can't explain this)
Is there something I forgot?  Is there a test plug available to check out the LPT port to be sure the data is coming out of the PC?
Jim Hart

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Unable to connect to CNC
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
You need some way of seeing if the parallel port pins are changing states. If you have a voltmeter you can check the direction pin, it should change from 0V to 5V as you change directions on that axis. Did you set this computer up yourself or did it come with the machine? What type of parallel port are you using? Is it built into the PC or is it an add-on card?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »
Just put a voltmeter between a Dir pin and Gnd and jog the axis one way then the other, voltage should go from 0v to 5v.

Check your setup to see if it needs an enable signal.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 02:01:28 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.  I am using a com/lpt port that is part of the motherboard.  To check the direction pin, do I put the VOM on pin 2 or 3 of the X axis and then jog the X axis to see if the pin changes state?  Also, how do I check to see if I need an enable signal?

The computer was set-up by someone else before I got it.  The PC put together by a local computer company.
Jim Hart

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »
Without looking at a wiring diagram of your system it would be really hard to help. There are many different ways it could be set up. Can you scan and post the info you have?
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 04:08:25 PM »
I measured the pins on the cable with a VOM and could find no difference between them in either standby or jogging.  I also changed the port address and saw no change between either port addresses.

I do not have any schematics of the controller.  I have requested some from the maker of the CNC Machine but have had no reply.

I checked the properties of the COM port using the device manager, they are:
Ports: (COM + LPT)
Port Settings:
Bits per sec: 9600
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: None
Detail:
Device Instance 1d
ACPI\PNP0501\1
I/O Range 03F8 - 03FF
IRQ - 04
Jim Hart
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »
On the inside of the controller there are 7 pins connected to the cable coming from the computer.  Pins 2,3,5,6,8,9 are the motor pins and pin 20 appears to be a ground.  All the rest of the pins are not connected.
Jim Hart

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 04:40:16 PM »
Can you attach your xml please.
Hood

vmax549

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »
OK YOU are giving data for a COM(serial ) port .You have to use the LPT(parrallel) port.

Set up mach for the LPTport that XP shows.

Hope that helps, (;-0 TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 04:47:12 PM »
OK YOU are giving data for a COM(serial ) port .You have to use the LPT(parrallel) port.

Set up mach for the LPTport that XP shows.

Hope that helps, (;-0 TP

I looked at that number and thought it wasnt right then I said to myself yes it is you idiot, well guess I was an idiot for thinking I was an idiot so all in all I am still an idiot.
0378 will be the port most likely if its onboard.

Hood