Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:30:29 PM

Author Topic: File conversion  (Read 9862 times)

vmax549

Re: File conversion
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 07:12:42 PM »
HERE is a hint you need to work at the highest resolution that you can. As the resolution gets too low the pixilation starts to show when you try to enlarge it, this really upsets the Conversion as it can no longer work with edgelines as they turn into a jagged blur.

(;-) TP

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »
Thanks.  I will remember that vmax549.  Ray

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »
Ray,
Attached is something to consider. I brought your image into CAD, drew over it, imported the DXF into LazyCam,
posted it to Mach3 Mill.  Took 33 minutes total including this posting......figure an hour to do a finished good job of it.
I would have finished it but then you would of had nothing to do!  ;)
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 10:39:52 PM »
Ray,
There is another reason for doing it this way. After the outline is done you can go in and do shading and assign different cut depths such that you have control over what things will look like when your all done. Notice that the code is not all that long. 

Raster to vector......you find one worth a hoot, give me a yell, as folks have been waiting and looking for years.
That includes some of the very expensive ones also, all crap!
Please prove me wrong,  >:D
RICH

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 05:09:49 AM »
Actually Rich, you should give the trial of VCarve a go. While expensive, it's the best one I've ever used. Of course it's not "perfect" but 9 times out of 10, any touch up work you'll have to do is just a bit of playing in "node edit" mode.

You can even seperate colors from a colored drawing to select only certain vectors if you'd like.

I go on and on about that software and there's a reason for it.  ;D
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 05:50:38 AM »
Thanks Dave, I 'll have to give her a try.
RICH
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 08:13:47 AM »
Rich, I have used AutoCad to accomplish something like you mention - copy an image into AutoCad, "draw over it," and then import DXF into LazyCam.  But the big difference is the amount of time it took me to draw the image and complete the project.  How are you "drawing," over the image.

I have used various functions - defining arcs, splines, etc.  and that works, but it is really time consuming.  If you have a better mousetrap I would appreciate being pointed in that direction.

Thanks

Bob@BobsShop

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »
Thanks a lot Rich for taking your time to work on the eagle, and thanks for sharing your files.  I will work on it.  Ray

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »
BoB,
No better mouse trap. Maybe I am somewhat old school on this. If something is important to you then you spend the
time to do it. Depends on what you want to do. What do you do if the image is bad? I took some pictures of tatoos off bikers  and made custom engraved plates to match, or from a custom bike paint job and tweaked those images
for machining. Raster to vector just never seemed to do very well on trying to shade something or you get too much detail in the piece. I guess my engraving days of long ago have influenced me too much. Most important if something  works for you and your happy then go for it.

RICH
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
I also import the pic into cad , draw over it , with mostly arcs , and pedit to connect as many lines as possible.
Works great for me . but does take some time .    >:(
I'm also old school. (school?)   :D

Ed
Ed VanEss