Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:07:43 PM

Author Topic: Second Parallel port  (Read 3249 times)

Second Parallel port
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:19:46 PM »
Hi all,

I have just installed a second parallel port on my computer and am trying to configure it for Mach3 (version R3.042.029) on my XP-pc.
I configured it in Mach3 as "2-9 as inputs" because I would like to juse this port mainly for external jogging-buttons.

I've set all those inputs port #2 from pinnumbers 2 to 7 (X++ upto Z--) as active low.
I also have a probe attached to this port on pinnumber 10.

The parallelport-card is a Moschip MCS9865, which gives my secondairy LPT-port a base-address of 0xDFA8 (weird address, but ok)..

Now my problem:
When I push the probe, it works like a charm (and is visible in the diagnostic-window as "digitize").
BUT when I use one of the jog-buttons, nothing changes at all..

What could be the problem? And is there any software-program/tool to check the parallelport itself?

Hoping you guys can help me out!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Second Parallel port
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
Some ports cant be configured as BiDirectional, yours is possibly one of them. I had exactly the same issue and the way I got around it was to use the motherbords port as port 2 and the PCI as Port 1.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »
It might also be necessary to put pull-up resistors on the lines, to ensure they see a strong logic 1 when the switches are not pulling them to ground.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »
Thank you guys.. The problem was indeed that I totally forgot about the pull-up resistors.. I've added them to the board and: WORKING!!  ;D

I'm a happy guy again!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 04:29:21 PM by BriBis »