Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:17:56 PM

Author Topic: video probe, tool or toy?  (Read 20916 times)

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
Re: video probe, tool or toy?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 07:24:57 PM »
i have seen and played with david scans extensively and they are BAD. you will require extensive reworking in cad to blend a fully 3 dimensional object. no point chasing super hi resolution in my opinion unless you are scanning tiny objects as it will cost you as much time cleaning up anyhow.

I have not played with toms plugin as I have not been able to finds a single cohesive thread on how to set it up yet. i have ample line lasers and box full of webcams..

can someone post a link to a step by step setup for 3d scannign on a 3 axis mill?  (1)  here is the software, (2) you  need this hardware (3) heres is how you hook it up

regards
Chris
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »

I have not played with toms plugin as I have not been able to finds a single cohesive thread on how to set it up yet. i have ample line lasers and box full of webcams..

can someone post a link to a step by step setup for 3d scanning on a 3 axis mill?  (1)  here is the software, (2) you  need this hardware (3) heres is how you hook it up

Hello Chris,

Sorry about not having a straightforward setup tutorial. Everything is in development and somewhat experimental.

I would suggest that you start with a search for "Hubin" or "thubin" at http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php#2 . That will bring up 32 posts from me. Most have something to do with 3d scanning. Browse through those and many from other people on the Video Probing forum.

Then ask questions and I will try to answer.

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »
kewl! im off work today.. seems liek a reasonable project for the day :)
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 06:25:28 PM »
Tom,

I do cnc porting of cylinder heads and have only uised a touch probe to get my point cloud information.  Your method would seem to be the cat's meow so to speak if only it would scan something like the internal surfaces of a cylinder head port.  Also to machine a part on my machine it is more than trying to create g code from a point cloud.  We have to have an actual surface that we can generate a tool path from.  It would be really nice to be able to optically scan my parts and if there would be anything that I could do to contribute to your project, just say the word,

Larry Coyle
Cylinder Head Engineering, LLC
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »

can someone post a link to a step by step setup for 3d scanning on a 3 axis mill?  (1)  here is the software, (2) you  need this hardware (3) heres is how you hook it up

Hello Chris,

Sorry about not having a straightforward setup tutorial. Everything is in development and somewhat experimental.

I would suggest that you start with a search for "Hubin" or "thubin" at http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php#2 . That will bring up 32 posts from me. Most have something to do with 3d scanning. Browse through those and many from other people on the Video Probing forum.

Then ask questions and I will try to answer.

Tom Hubin
thubin@earthlink.net

Tom,
I have to side with Botha. Searching 32+ of your posting and hundreds of others that often contradict each other and contain false start information is a tough way to learn how to do video/laser probing. This topic interests me greatly and I have researched this forum extensively. I have read all of your posts along with the hundreds of others, and I am still confused. You seem to be on the forefront of the development cycle and may be in the best position to provide a baseline of what works and how to set it up. I know this is asking a lot and would be time consuming, but is there a way you or someone could provide a single post that sets the baseline of how to do video/laser scanning. A single document that explains lasers to purchase, cameras to use, how to mount/orient them and how to use the software to create a mesh cloud. Basically a summation of what actually works. Something I can build upon going forward. Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks
Dave