Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:01:26 AM

Author Topic: Perfect Square?  (Read 22154 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Square?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
Ah ok so its only when you are running code? If so then what happens if you jog two at once or MDI a two or three axis move?
 Check your power supply is not dropping in voltage when moving axis together.
Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 04:34:12 PM »
Ah ok so its only when you are running code? If so then what happens if you jog two at once or MDI a two or three axis move?
 Check your power supply is not dropping in voltage when moving axis together.
Hood

Yes it only happens when I run code. I did a simple square code and it was fine. I did the dwg RICH told me yesterday (Square, Triangle & Circle) and it was good but when I do a dwg I made which has a lot of half circles inside a square it gets stuck half way thru (file attached).

When I jog 2 axes at once, all works well. MDI also works well

Never payed attention to the DCV meter I have to see the voltage. I will have a look and post back results.
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »
Looking at the axis settings your on inch's, 36" <m/min so I would have thought that's ok and Acc 2! Does it ever get upto speed?

You may be hitting soft limits, do you zero the axis and is the table size setup (can't remember which tab that is).

Normal use is to have the table size setup and have the soft limits on. Zero axis (ref all) before doing anything when the machine is first turned on.
You then clamp down you stock and drive the axis to a point you determined in your cam, usually bottom left, and press each button to the left of the DRO.
You should then be able to look at the table view to the right and it will show a white line around with you gcode lines in blue, if these blue lines are inside the white line you will be fine, other wise you'll get a warning that your code goes out of the table limits.

I'm quite tipsy at the moment on our second bottle so hopefully I've said it all right ;)

Steve

Guess the second bottle must be Gin, cheers to you mate....

To my opinion it does get up to speed especially when she makes circles she is pretty fast on the X & Y axes. As for the rest you described all is done correctly.
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 06:10:27 PM »
Decreased the velocity on X & Y to 35 and did what is in the pic. Better than before but stopped in the last couple inches of the code (see attached)

No drop in the voltage

Can someone tell me if my motor settings looks reasonable or there is not such a think as reasonable?

There is no other method except by trying to set the motors to an optimum setting?
Nicolas
Nicolas

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 06:15:30 PM »
Unless someone has a machine that is identical to yours then no one can say what your settings will be, just too many variables.
 Your velocity and Accell seem reasonable, not fast but again not that bad.

When it stops do the motors just squeal?
 Do your motors get hot?
Do the drives get hot?

Hood

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:06 PM »
Unless someone has a machine that is identical to yours then no one can say what your settings will be, just too many variables.
 Your velocity and Accell seem reasonable, not fast but again not that bad.

When it stops do the motors just squeal?
 Do your motors get hot?
Do the drives get hot?

Hood

Now I understand and its fine, I will manage one way or another the motors settings. Thank you for commenting on the Vel / Accl, at least I know that I'm in the ball part

Yes the motor squeal, I'm not sure but I think is only one motor that stalls, either the X or Y

Never touched the motors or drives so I dont know if they are hot. I will verify tomorrow.
Nicolas
Nicolas
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 08:05:59 PM »
ger21,

Question for you. I've also used Autocad for 10 years since acad 14. If you have a drawing with 3 or more views ,
 how do you do ordinate dimensioning without moving the UCS to each view? I've learned cad on my own, and I know theres lots I don't know, so please clue me in.

Thanks
Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 08:19:03 PM »
Ed, I do all my dimensioning in Paper Space. But most of my work is Architectural and woodworking, if that makes a difference. I don't usually dimension any 3D drawings.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:28:39 PM by ger21 »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 08:27:19 PM »

Sorry Gerry dont know what you mean by "drives"

Motors are Keling stepper motors with 8 wires and wired as unipolar

The 3 drives for the 3 motors are Probotix  http://www.probotix.com/stepper_motor_drivers/ProboStep/
I have set the steps on the drives to half step and in mach (steps per) to 4000
Hope that is what you want
Nicolas

Couple things. Is the current pot set correctly on the drives to match the motors?

And What voltage are you running at?

Do the motors sound "smooth", or do they sometimes sound rough at certain rpms?

I'm in the process of setting up my router using a Xylotex drive, and on my Z axis, with 1/2-10 acme, I'm currently getting 50ipm with an accel of 7. You should be able to set your accel much higher than 2.

If the motors sometimes sound rough, you could be seeing resonance. I made a damper for my Y axis, and increased velocity from 80 to 180 with a huge increase in smoothness, and accel set at 12. Although this is with 1/2-8 2 start acme.

I'm guessing you don't have the current adjusted right, possible. Also, try running in 1/8 step mode and see if it'll let you go faster, as microsteps allow the motor to run smoother.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »
ger21,

Question for you. I've also used Autocad for 10 years since acad 14. If you have a drawing with 3 or more views ,
 how do you do ordinate dimensioning without moving the UCS to each view? I've learned cad on my own, and I know theres lots I don't know, so please clue me in.

Thanks
Ed

Sorry Ed but I can’t help you right now

During my working years I definitely knew much more than now but I was never an ace in Acad. I just knew enough to assist my clients. It has been almost 10 years since I touched Acad and I only started last April when I got interested in the CNC.

I have all the manuals for V12 and looking up the subject I found an exercise with 14 pages describing how to do ordinate dimensioning in a machined bracket. I don’t have a flat bed printer to scan the pages but if you want I can take a picture of each page like the sample attached and send them to your email.

If you agree, I can’t do it before the weekend.
Nicolas
Nicolas