Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:00:44 AM

Author Topic: LazyCam connects unconnected elements  (Read 6073 times)

LazyCam connects unconnected elements
« on: August 21, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
A clock wheel drawn in Microstation and converted to DXF (12 or 2008 - doesn't seem to make a difference) and imported into LazyCam Pro has the six cutouts connected into 3 pairs. There should be 8 chains but LC shows only 5. clicking on any one of the chains shows it's connected to an adjacent one.

The problem started out as one connected pair. I went back to the CAD program, deleted the pair and copy/rotated another section. Now I've got 3 connected pairs. There's absolutely no lines in the CAD drawing that would justify connecting pairs of sections unless Microstation does not convert to DXF the way LC wants. And where does LC get the additional entities? I should get 4 for each of the 6 sections plus the inner circle and perimeter for 26. Instead I get 48. Check the DXF in LC and see the extra line connecting one of the sections to the O> icon. Why?

I'm curious about the O> icons I see after cleaning. I assume these signify that the part is composed of connected entities. Unfortunately, these seem to be part of the problem - they're connected to the chains. In addition two straddle a line in two sets of chains, another is outside the chain. LC is a great program but often frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: LazyCam connects unconnected elements
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 02:34:37 PM »
Hi, Dbvogt

I guess I'm not seeing the issue, Pic 1 shows the import settings I'm using.

Hears a LCam file and G code file to look at.

Chip
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »
Thank you for the reply. The only difference in settings was that I had the Connection Line Tolerance set for .1 and this must have caused LC to think the sections were connected. When .001 was used, the image was perfect.

There's still a nagging problem - off and on - with this and other DXFs. For this particular DXF, LC says "Loop sensed as Open" for the center circle, which can't be correct. It's chain 1 here and it has two entities. But then the perimeter circle has two entities and an outer offset is created.

If I exit LC and start all over again, I can get an offset for the inner circle. Strange.

In any case, thanks for the setting!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:23:11 PM »
dbvogt,
 I am curious. What version of Microstation was used to create the DXF?
I couldn't open it with Microstation SE, ME, V8 And also AutoCad 2001, 2004, but finally 2007 opened it!
Never had that happen before in years!
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
dbvogt,
 I don't see an issue and it imported just fine into LazyCam.
BTW, I usually use .001" as the default tolerance unless i am doing some real fine stuff like
engraving, then i may change it to .0001".
RICH
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 08:44:34 PM »
It's V8 XM, the next step up from V8. Supposedly it's the version that will work with BIM (Building Information Management) but I'm not directly involved in that at work. This is a home-only version that disappears when I leave the company.

When I save a DGN, there is no choice whether to save it in V8 or XM so I assume the file structure is identical between the versions.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:58:15 PM »
I wouldn't say that. At least you got your home version to work. I spent three hours with the Bentley folks and frankly told them i will do without it at home!    :D
RICH

vmax549

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 11:05:33 PM »
Progecad opened it right up no problems (;-) TP

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 07:26:20 AM »
Progecad opened it right up no problems (;-) TP

Agreed, best move I made was to go from AutoCad to free ProgeCAD.

Opens just about everything as opposed to AutoCAD that would hardly open any dxf's download form the net.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 08:19:20 AM »
If you are using Vista, there's a bug that prevents Microstation V8 from working. Microsoft decided to omit an XP driver. There's a patch available.