Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:24:41 AM

Author Topic: Spindle Control  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
Spindle Control
« on: August 20, 2009, 05:21:56 PM »
Hey guys...

I am completely out of my depth here... but thats how i am most the time.. so without further ado..  i need to interface my spindle controller with mach.. not to have simple on off capability but speed control as well, the spindle is a fantastic one but currently i have to use it manually.. which kind of defeats the point of having great pathing software that can dynamically controll spindle speed and feedrates on chipload scenarios...

I realise this will require a mechanical/electrical interface to my pc and then most likely a plugin for mach as well..

my spindle is a NSK e2530

http://www.nsk-nakanishi.co.jp/en/industrial/products/imf/e2530.html

im at work now but im happy to upload images of pin layouts and tech details if someone can point me in the right direction

Re: Spindle Control
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 06:15:22 PM »
Hi Chris,

You need to look at the manual and see what electrical control interfaces it has. That will determine how you can control it from Mach3.

A lot of motor controllers have a 0-10Vdc input. If this is the case with your motor controller, then you could use a DC-03 or similar to control it.

http://homanndesigns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=21

If you want to email the user manual, I can have a look for you. email is peter at homanndesigns.com

Cheers,

Peter.

----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »
Go to HomannDesigns (www.homanndesigns.com) and take a look at their DC-03 spindle control I/F.  It works beautifully, assuming your spindle control has a voltage-controlled speed.  The DC03 provides two relays you can use as you like (usually FWD/REV or RUN/DIR), accepts PWM input from Mach, and provides a voltage output to the motor controller.  It is simple to connect, provides very accurate speed control, and is dirt cheap.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »
ok coolness i will email details to you in my evening +-7 hours from now.

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:50:22 PM »
i believe that Jack (Minitech) has already got this nailed on my behalf.. using a

C19 from CNC4PC

not sure what that is but if jack says its good I believe him..

Thanks Jack!

Will still send info though as i am interested in seeing how this is done.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:30:14 PM »
i believe that Jack (Minitech) has already got this nailed on my behalf.. using a

C19 from CNC4PC

not sure what that is but if jack says its good I believe him..

Thanks Jack!

Will still send info though as i am interested in seeing how this is done.

I hope it works better than the speed controls on the several C10 boards I've had. They have proven to be quite inaccurate and unreliable.  The Homann board works flawlessly, and very accurately.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:30:13 AM »
ulp!?!?!

ok well i suppose ill get to see.. the works has been done and it's on its way to me.. the rest of my mill has been a marvel of engineering so far so I doubt Jack would bring it down by adding in funky stuff that he himself has not tested and is happy with.. but ill be sure to report on it.  man still an hour at work.. its friday .. i hear the beer calling me....