Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:59:28 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and Yaskawa Servos  (Read 18461 times)

Mach 3 and Yaskawa Servos
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:32:34 PM »
Hello,
  I was looking for some suggestions. I'm fixing to build me a router machine and I have some used Yaskawa drives that I would like to use. The part # SGDA-04AP is one that I have. I have been reading all kinds of forums and there are people that say these will work with step and direction signals and some that say they wont because this is a position control drive. I was wanting to know if anyone has used these and if there is a breakoutboard that is recommended to use with Mach 3? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: Mach 3 and Yaskawa Servos
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 02:43:54 AM »
Did you search the Yaskawa website for the manual of this drive?

Daniel
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 06:45:48 AM »
Daniel,
    I have looked at the manual on the SGDA-04AP and the SGDA-04AS. One is a position control (Step and direction) and one is (Speed and velocity). It seems that the 04AP would work but I have read so many negative post on CNC Zone about using this one. Nobody can agree to use or not to use on there.  They say that it needs to have a converter board from pulse to +/- 10 VDC signal. I really want to use Mach 3 and don't know what type of interface/breakout board will work with the drives. I thaough that someone may have used these before and could give me advice before I go to far with the project. Thanks for your response.

William

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:15:22 AM »
William,

If the manual says that the drive can take Step/Dir, then I see no reason why it won't work with Mach3. For the other drive, if it really takes only analogue +/-10V, there are boards that will convert it to Step/Dir. Have a look at this topic:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10459.0.html

Daniel
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
Daniel,
   I will try the step/Dir with the SGDA-04AP drives. I have integrated MachineMate PC based CNC controls in the past but they are a complete CNC system. I'm not real familiar with  Mach 3 applications but is there a specifis breakout board that you recommend for isolation and some I/O if needed.

Thanks,

William

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »
William,

Don't know what breakout board you're meaning. If it's for the PP, then you have whole lot of them out there. Personally I use those from CNC4PC.com , I like the support Arturo gives. Many use the boards from PMDX.com which have a very good reputation and there are many more.

If you don't have enough I/O in a single PP for your application, you may want to add a second one. Or you can use some additional I/O device, like the USB based Pokeys, or some Modbus based (PLC).

Another possibility is to use the Smooth Stepper which is a USB based external pulse generator device that will give you two full PP I/O capability and one port to connect a differential encoder to.

Daniel
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:42 AM »
Daniel,
   I greatly appreciate all of your help. I will take a look at the web sites.

Thanks,

William
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 03:44:14 AM »
hi im new to MACH 3  controller users , i neet to knoe if i purchase the controller for plasma & oxy cutting machine i can directly use the controller or i need to do any modifications in contriller ?
and what are the modifications need to be done ,step by step procedures ,please

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 04:54:24 AM »
hi im new to MACH 3  controller users , i neet to knoe if i purchase the controller for plasma & oxy cutting machine i can directly use the controller or i need to do any modifications in contriller ?
and what are the modifications need to be done ,step by step procedures ,please

Hello, you posted your question in the : Forum suggestions and report forum problems.

You should start your own topic and post it in the "General Mach Discussion" area part of the forum.

Thank you,
Dave
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:58:57 AM by budman68 »
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)