Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:25:29 PM

Author Topic: "X" travel on gantry question  (Read 2568 times)

"X" travel on gantry question
« on: August 16, 2009, 09:07:55 PM »
I am replacing an DOS 486 system with XP & Mach3 & have a question.

We have 120" of travel on our slaved "X" axis steppers with rack & pinions. If the pinions wear at a different rate than each other (which is common) at the end of the 120" travel we get an accumulated error making the "X" slightly out of square. To mimimize or split the error we manually square or "HOME" our "X" axis at the 60" or midpoint point of gantry travel which helps split the acculated error. We don't have "HOME" switches now but will eventually like to install them with Mach3.

Question....
1) Can I set HOME manually like we do now with a screen button while in the center of the "X" axis travel?

2) When I get a little farther along with the retrofit can I set "X HOME" with optical switches in the middle of the "X" axis travel??? I don't think I can have a mechanical "HOME" switch in the middle of the table with the gantry continually traveling back & forth over the "X HOME" area.

3) Will Mach3 allow a total axis travel setting using a negative from "HOME" on one side in the parameters?

Thanks
Steve

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: "X" travel on gantry question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:15:39 AM »
Hi, Steve

You can have the Home switches anywhere you want them, You just need to insure your on the proper side of them before Homing so they'll be seen when Homing.

Chip