Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:16:31 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 Customization/Macro Programming Documentation  (Read 61226 times)

vmax549

Re: Mach3 Customization/Macro Programming Documentation
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »
PLease keep it in laymens terms, They are the ones you will be writing this for. One of the of the marks of a sucessful author is to be able to write at the level that best serves the majority of his readers.

OR just write two versions(;-)

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:38:01 AM by vmax549 »

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »

"Who will help me bake my bread . . "
- Little Red Hen
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »
 ASSERT ? unambiguous ?   ??? ???

Do you sell dictionary's ? How about more 4 letter words ?

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »
I have to agree with majority opion on this one.

PLEASE use the "KISS" pricinciple.......

The VB function, and function names where so that users who know nothing of programming can get into it to customize thier machine.

I think you should stick with "Laymans" terms, no dought.  Stuff like "ActivateSignal" and "DeActivateSignal", Or even "OutputON" or OutputOFF" would be better.  I new NOTHING of programming when I started with mach, and was VERY thankfull that the documentation put things  in terms that the NON-Programmer could understand, INCLUDING examples!!!  It is a Big hill to climb when all you have is the Wiki documents, and others code to learn from. Please dont complicate a "Laymans" programming launguage (VB Script).

Please understand, I am NOT complaining, just asking you to remember that 90% of the people on this site are hobbiest, and/or non-computer programmers.

The only reason I new what ASSERT meant was that I learned it when I was learning to write plugins, prior to that, it would have ment nothing to me.

scott
fun times

vmax549

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »
Turn on /Turn off  has always worked well.

(;-) TP

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 06:19:51 AM »
It would seem that difficulty understanding the difference between 'assert' and 'activate' is an affliction that also causes confusion between the words 'manual' and 'tutorial'.

It matters little what words an author chooses if the reader is not paying attention to them. The OP clearly says that a person has been drafted to produce a "Programming MANUAL". Granted, that is more than  4 letters, but not exactly difficult to comprehend, in my view.

Nothing is stopping the Little Red Hens from taking a reference manual and using their own 'good authoring skills' to produce a follow on 'Mach Programming for Dummies' book . . .  except perhaps that it requires more effort than simply criticizing someone elses project.

Personally, I want a concise desktop quick reference in the form of "VBscript in a nutshell' from Childs, Lomax and Petrusba. Persons unwilling or unable to learn the proper syntax, structure and logic of a given language are not going to be able to program successfully regardless of whether the documentation is provided in layman or professional form.

Someone mentioned that 90% of this forum is hobbyists. Unfortunately this thread supports that "ASSERTION" . . . oops, sorry for the big word, but 'on' or 'off' just didn't seem adequate . . go figure . . . .

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 06:34:25 AM »
Simpson,
 just to let you (and Ray) know I agree 100% with what you have just said.

Hood

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 08:14:10 AM »
There may be a few new terms you'll need to learn to read this document, but once you do, you'll never have any doubts as to what a function does, once you've read its description.

Where will one go to learn these terms.? Tried Googleing "assert" but didn't get the needed definition.

Didn't mean to open a can of worms here, Ray.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009, 08:35:49 AM »
Suggest that Ray just do the best he can, throw it out for commnets, and let folks go in and test verbage for understanding. Folks can always provide a description for a term based on their experience for his consideration.
If a user needs to bring oneself up to a certain level, define the required level, a good reference source to use, etc.

Assert is just one word out of the hundreds yet to come!  ???
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
I honestly find it very hard to believe people are arguing over the word assert. If you don't know what assert means in the context of the page view that has been shown then I am sorry to say but you are going to struggle to write a macro.
 Ray, go for it put it out then maybe once you are finished a glossary can be written by the members here.

Hood