Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 01:49:27 AM

Author Topic: Editing a Pocket?  (Read 6227 times)

Editing a Pocket?
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:01:03 PM »
Is it possible to edit a pocket? I created 5 pockets and 5 offsets and swear i clicked to cut CCW. Well the cutter is cutting CW and i would like to go back and check what i did. Can I edit a pocket or will i have to delete it and recreate it?

Re: Editing a Pocket?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »
I just did it again and heres what happened.

Left the pocket as CCW. Simulated in mach3 the pocket cuts CW and the offset cuts CW.

Changed pocket to CW. The pocket cut from in2out CW then cut out2in CCW and the offset cut CW.

Deleted the offset that the pocket created and created a new offset. The pocket cut CW and the Offset cut CCW.

Is this a bug in the program? If so, what is the secret to cut a pocket CCW?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:05:47 AM »
Hi, Steve

CW and CCW can get confused in the Cam packages sometimes, What are you using to generate your G code files ?

Chip

vmax549

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »
Looks like you are telling it to cut the pocket in one direction with a finish cut in the opposite

Pocket climb milling   /   finish conventional milling
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:54:29 PM »
I'm Sorry!! Duh   I'm using LazyCam. I have only been at this CNC stuff for 3 days now so go easy on the greenhorn!

Hi, Steve

CW and CCW can get confused in the Cam packages sometimes, What are you using to generate your G code files ?

Chip

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 09:01:54 PM »
From what i can tell ( and this is 3 days experience talking) I tell LazyCam to cut a circular pocket of a specific diameter, leave .005 for a finish cut, and cut in a CCW direction.

LazyCam creates the pocket and an offset. The offset is the finish cut. Both are cutting in a CW direction.

If i delete the offset that is auto created with the pocket and create a new offset and spec a CCW direction, The new offset cuts in a CCW direction.

Am i making sense?

Thanks for the help!!

Steve

Looks like you are telling it to cut the pocket in one direction with a finish cut in the opposite

Pocket climb milling   /   finish conventional milling

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:15:50 PM »
Hi, Steve

LazyCam has a learning curve as do all programs, Have you downloaded the Manual RICH has done hear, http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,12078.0.html

Its a Very Nice manual and covers allot of quark's you might find, Way to Go RICH !!!!!.

Chip

vmax549

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:39:35 PM »
YOU need to check the direction of cut for each of your layers/chains before you post to make sure they are as you want.

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 01:20:16 AM »
You will not find any any "specific" info on the cutting directions in the manual other than definitions in sect 8.4.2.
May be in the upcoming  rev 1.
I want to address the lead-ins / out's  in the manual along with cutting direction in one shot / tutorial. I am not sure what rules LC is following or if it's not restricted. Maybe Vmax or Chip can elaborate more. I don't remember what is in the video , if anything.

Till then,
RICH

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
Hi, Steve

Non climb and climb mill pictures below, You'll see the direction arrows of cut easier with the cir leadin's on.

Direction of cut arrow's are a little hard to see sometimes.

Rich, Guess I need to read your manual a little closer HU   ;D

Hope this helps, Chip