Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:25:10 PM

Author Topic: When, Oh When, are we going to get backlash compensation?  (Read 13132 times)

When, Oh When, are we going to get backlash compensation?
« on: August 09, 2009, 07:57:32 AM »
Hi Greg,
Speaking for myself, I need the backlash comp and I'm guessing that there are heaps more people who want/need that than there are people who want/need the torch height control? The fact that THC was asked for first should come second to the wants of more people who are asking for backlash comp I would think.
Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree but I've been patiently waiting for backlash comp since I bought my SmoothStepper ages ago and I can't use it until backlash comp is available!
So, when can we see BACKLASH COMPENSATION please?
Thanks,
Dave.  :(

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: When, Oh When, are we going to get backlash compensation?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »
Dave,

In order to make the backlash compensation Greg needs the new rev 4 of Mach, which will incorporate the new trajectory planner. So it ain't going to happen before the new rev 4 releases anyway. However, may be Greg could start working on the code in the meanwhile - I don't know.

Daniel

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:31:57 AM »
Who knows when that will be. He never implemented it and said he would over a year ago, probably a lot longer. Mach4 maybe wasn't even in the planning. It's a determinant to purchasing the SS and the WARP site is about dead. I also don't use the SS on one of my machines because of it. The SS is a good product, but for a lot of folks, it just kills the use or purchase.  Backlash comp is really needed for a lot of folks and considered fundamental. Fixing the mechinical problem is not a satisfactory answer nor an excuse for not having it even in MACH3.
Just my thought's on the issue,
RICH

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:23:09 AM »
Mach4 maybe wasn't even in the planning.

How do you know what Greg and Brian may have been discussing a year ago??

Folks never want to hear it but reducing backlash mechanically should always be the first step. Software can't fix everything...
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 12:37:14 PM »
Jeff,
I agree with you on fixing the machine.

Not an excuse for not having backlash compensation though!

If backlash will not be implemeted, in say some reasonable time period, then just so let it be stated
and all can move on. No big deal....it is as is.....fine product but missing something. I think that is very fair and reasonable.

You wouldn't show a candy bar to a kid and then take it away or eat it yourself!

I hold Greg in high requard and the SS. I also know that what seems simple can be a real challenge.
I also know that you don't want to waste time doing something if you know a change willl impact your work.

I TRUELY feel llike a PITA on the subject and will never, ever, address SS/BACKLASH COMP again.
                       --------SO IT SAID AND SO IT WILL BE DONE ------------
                                                    RICH

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:50:43 PM »
I was just giving you a hard time Rich  :)

The problem is how backlash comp was added to Mach. It was done in the LPT driver not in the trajectory planner. This not only causes problems for LPT users as if your not very careful with your settings backlash comp can try to over accelerate your motors, it also makes it a huge task for any add-on motion control board to do as it will run into the same issues of possibly trying to over accelerate an axis to try and keep up with what Mach is asking it to do. In fact I'm not aware of any (open loop) motion control card that works with Mach that does backlash comp either.

As I understand things backlash comp is being moved into the trajectory planner (where it should be) so that ANY motion control device and take advantage of it and they should all then use the same exact settings and tunings in Mach (instead of each motion control device trying to implement its own backlash comp all with their own settings/tunings.) In the end I think it will be a better solution for all mach users. It just stinks to have to wait though.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:54:24 PM »

Kind of like waiting for Mach 3 Version 4. I wish May would get here already......oh wait, it's August!  :D

(Just funnin ya Brian!!!  ;) )

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
What is abandoned?? Is the SS/Galil/DSPMC all abandoned because they don't have backlash comp that works with Mach 3? The solution is in the works and it will be a better solution for all.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 04:17:21 AM »
Hi all,
I've been away from machining for some years, moved house/state and all, and just thought I would get back to the forum.
Anyway, without trawling through masses of posts, was backlash compensation ever fixed for the SS?
I've checked the build logs for the latest lockdown release of Mach3 (what, no Mach4?) and didn't see any mention of a BC fix - or is the fix meant to be in the SS?
What's the latest on BC, guys? I still have my (unused) SS sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Thanks.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 04:42:05 AM »
Hi,

Backlash is fixed in SS for quite some time now. Works well here. Except when you program a move which is smaller than the set backlash, in which case it jumps to wrong position - a bit offset from the correct one.

Dan