Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:28:02 AM

Author Topic: how to make tool path for 3-D dxf file  (Read 7222 times)

Offline oskie

•  29 29
    • View Profile
how to make tool path for 3-D dxf file
« on: August 09, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »
Hello,  I would like to know how to set up lazy cam to make a toolpath that will cut out the font included which has depth info as part of the font.  I would like to also know how to make a tool for a v cut bit, the diameter of course chnages with depth.  If you can help please let me know.  The DXF file attached has the outside lines that show the final shape, they are deleted prior to making the toolpath.  Thanks Oskie

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: how to make tool path for 3-D dxf file
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 05:28:41 AM »
Hi, Oskie

LazyCam is a 2.5D Cam program, So any Z depth differences in your dxf can only be addressed by moving Chains to a new layer and setting a Z depth for individual Layers Chains, The best you could do is Edit in some Z moves into the G code file LC generates, It will not be very smooth and require allot of editing. .

To cut your dxf out as drawn will require a full 3D Cam program, It will pickup your Z moves as drawn.

Chip
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:31:17 AM by Chip »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:20:44 AM »
Does this work? What did you use to draw that?

I used my AutoCAD macro to create the g-code. I just converted the splines and lines to 3D polylines first.

Otherwise, you can buy V Carve pro, where you just type the letter A, and it creates the toolpaths and code automatically. It is $600, though.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:32:29 AM »
I never tried to "sculpt" text in LC. It's beyond the intended use as a "basic" importer in my opinion or would be considered an advanced use of it.
BUT if you draw it in light of the machining then you can use LC to generate the code.
You should be able to draw out the paths based on a specific cutter and figure out the depths in CAD based on a v tool, but would require thinking about the machining and envisioning the outcome of the path. That's where advanced programs come in, like Gerry noted. It may not be too bad for a single letter but for a lot of text woud be a pain.
Now if you created your owne text alphabet, and did the letters to say to a common unit size , you could scale up and down and move them around to suite a future job. Put each letter on an indiviual layer and draw the paths so they come in as a chain. You will need an accurate machine, some moves will overlap other moves and as such can cause "indentations" would
detract from the effect you are trying to create.

As far as making a V tool with multiple cutting edges .........buy one. The time required to make it is not worth the effort. Single cutting edge would be a easier, but again time and effort may not be worth it.
If the tool is not made correctly ,you'll be disatisfied when it's used.

Just some thought's,
RICH

Offline oskie

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »
I found these fonts for sale on ebay that do this type of carving and thought it would be good to have to use on my router, I have seen Vcarve pro and is awsome, but the price right now is slowing me down on purchasing it.  I do have autoCad but to use it on every character would not be very fun.  Does anyone know of a reasonable priced CAM that would work in 3-D.  Thanks for all your responses I spent a couple hrs trying to make LC give me a 3D path and glad to find out why it wasn't working for me.

vmax549

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 02:07:28 PM »
NOW here is somthing to think about We came up with it a long time ago but never tried it.

Take you 3d drawing convert it to a bitmap and then bring it into Lcam. It is possible that lcam can generate a SOSO 3d path file from the bitmap.

3d cam??  Vetric IS a very resonably priced 3d Cam(;-)   

Just a thought, (;-)TP
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 02:09:04 PM by vmax549 »