Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 03:32:30 PM

Author Topic: running multiple y and z at same time  (Read 4145 times)

running multiple y and z at same time
« on: July 30, 2009, 02:56:47 PM »
I have a 2002 yr model  AXYZ router. It only speaks Toolpath. I want to convert to Mach3. Bob cad v23 cadcam software. Question is, can I operate with Mach 3? Pick and choose which Y carriage I use (or both) and which of the 4 Z axis I use. Would this be done with custom screen to slave axis together? How do I find out the parallel port cable layout do do this. 8 step drives on the machine 2 are wired parallel at the drivers on the X axis.
 I don't want to destroy the old machine in case I screw up the conversion. This is my first attempt at cnc equipment. My experience with cnc is very limited. I can turn it on and make it move ( sometimes it goes where I want it to). I am assuming I can unplug the signal wires from the AXYZ controller and connect wire from Mack(?).
 I do have experience in electrical and mechanical work. I have built a couple of machines PLC driven. CNC not so much.

I draw in Auto CAd 2000, generate code in Bobcad. My understanding of cnc is this. Send bbcd code to Mach3, Mach3 sends signal train to appropriate drivers, drivers send pulse to steppers and machine moves as desired (hopefully).

HELP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: running multiple y and z at same time
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 03:43:49 PM »
I think it could be done but certainly not a job for a beginner :(
Hood

vmax549

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »
I don't think so(;-). I believe this is one that would be best left as it is.  I can see running the X and Y no problem. SPLITTING the Y as two independants notta. 4 Zs extra notta if they need to be independant'

I can see the X and y as one axis each and the 4 Zs if they are slaved together and the drives would have to be electronically geared together to act as one Z what one did they all do. That could be made to work but that is about it.

Just a thought (;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:45:13 AM »
I just want to slave together as needed, just like the 2 steppers that drive the x axis. Just need to know if the software can pick and choose when they are slaved.
 I know this is no small feat. That's why I need for help. I'ld love to use as is.
 The problem is Toolpath, and the controller will only accept Toolpath as DNC. There's no way to view or edit  g-code. The post that Bob cad has does not work properly. G-code simulates correct in Predator and Toolpath but the machine splits the job into multiple shapes. Shape 2 does not start where shape 1 ended. It seems no matter how small a job I send Toolpath sends as 1 shape but the machine splits them. According to AXYZ tech, toolpath will not drive router to do what I want..

vmax549

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
IT won't work that way, You either have to slave them or NOT slave them. No flip flopping on demand.

AND even if you could get that to work the motion language does NOT support independant multi axis support such as 2 independant Ys and 2 independant Z per y.

I guess I don't understand why you cannot just run it as a standard ROUTER based machine that does 4 copies at once.  OR one at a time if you turn off the unneeded heads.????

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:36:25 AM by vmax549 »
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:24:08 AM »
Does anyone know if the Galil plug-in in Mach3 will support a Galil DMC 2180?