Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 03:16:09 AM

Author Topic: Joining Primitives?  (Read 14654 times)

Re: Joining Primitives?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 02:59:17 AM »
I do have a good CAD (same as used by at least one machine shop I know), and I have been back and re-done every snap to be sure, and grouped everything that should cut as one line too etc

It did help, but I won't be happy until it's perfect and Lcam can't quite get there no matter how thorough my drafting is LOL

So, does anyone know if manually connecting primitives works at all?

Rich, you mentioned "joining chains"...how are you doing that?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 05:23:57 PM »
Hi, Rich

Post an example of your problem dxf.

LazyCam should re-order your chains best it can from the origin marker position with Optimize button, Doing insides cut's then outsides  But in the end it should post the code from the top to bottom as listed in the Project Tab, Chain # can be moved around to your preference of cut.

Chip

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 07:50:19 PM »
RICH,
Yes, manually connecting entities does work when done within a chain, and the tolerance setting has an impact on it.
Text is a PITA. Because of how the text is created / manipulated in CAD, exported, and then looked at by LC from a maching point of view. I will post something which hopefully will get my point accross on this. Will use one of your DXF files that you posted for the sign.
Later today if i get a chance.

LC is not a CAD program. LC is an importer which prepares the imported file for machining tasks. Big difference in those two lines. That's my understanding from experience.

RICH
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 07:58:56 PM »
I know it is not CAD, and I have already messed with the tolerance to the Nth degree. I have cleaned up the original CAD etc more than once too.
If Lcam still won't get it then I guess I am SOL

Unfortunately I cannot post the DXF as it is a proprietary design and I'd be in breach of contract to disclose it.
When I try and pull out one of the specific shapes that is the problem it works fine in Lcam on it's own....

So...I guess next question is, If I am gonna go spend some money any recommendations of a program to use in place of Lcam that is reasonably priced?? That is perhaps better at connecting lines or has a better manual tool to do so?
(less bugs would be awesome too)

Thanks

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 08:13:50 PM »
Can you mimic the part in some way that is not working. I undersatnd the proprietary design stuff.
Can't help you if you can't give me something to work with.

Example of "joining two entities" is as follows.
Select one entity and then select anther entity, both are highlighted in the display area, Right mouse click in the screen area, flyout appears, and select join entities. They are then joined. Sort of like doing a zero radiused chamfer in CAD.
RICH
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 08:26:39 PM »
I'll try and re-create it, but its been a pain so far...when I pull out the problem shape on it's own and put it back in Lcam it works fine! But not part of the larger design...

As for joining the entities that is what I have done as described above. Makes NO difference to how it cuts the chains though...I am TRYING to joing to entities from the ends of SEPARATE adjacent chains, therefore joinging the chains, but I guess it doesnt work like that ;(
And I haven't seen or heard of any way to join whole chains...

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 08:58:43 PM »
For joining chains, you select the chain, it is highlighted in the display, you click the "Move Chain" command on the left, ooop's Right I think  >:D
A flyout gives you the option of a mouse move or exact x & y distance. You can measure the X & Y distance using the Extents tab and watch the change in the mouse pointer location. This is a poor way to move chains. If you want a machining task you shouild do it in CAD and not use LC.

SEE PAGE 15 IN THE MANUAL, ALSO PAGE 20 FOR THE EXTENTS TAB, PAGE 86  TO SEE JOINING LINES.

RICH
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 09:07:03 PM by Chip »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »
Can't join entities which are in separate chains. Think of it this way, a separate chain for a square and a triangle, you import and LC thinks, ok he wants to machine the square and then maybe the triangle, hey waite a minute i can 't let him machine one entity of the triangle along with the square, that dosn't make sense, so not allowed.

RICH
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 09:28:53 PM »
So can I re-ask my other question of alternatives to LCAM I can purchase?
Evidently I need a tool capable of thinking beyond geometric shapes and do what I tell it to! LOL

I'd rather just buy a program and move on from this tiny issue that is a huge headache....

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 09:42:29 PM »
I will not suggest any in particular as prices really vary and suggest you try others out, see what will fit your needs,
make sure you are happy with it, and certainly wish you luck. :)
RICH