Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:09:57 AM

Author Topic: dolphin partmaster  (Read 7244 times)

dolphin partmaster
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:40:11 PM »
hi
is there anyone using dolphin partmaster to generate lathe code? i dowloaded the trial version and it seems very good. but sometimes you can't see everything in a few hours of playing with a software. it is the only cam package i found with a decent lathe module(at a realistic price). any idea or other options? i'm already using the wizards for simple jobs but they are useless for complex profile or multiple operations turning.

simon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: dolphin partmaster
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »
How much is it?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »
it is advertised on their site at 800-900$ i believe, but they seem to have a hobby price of around 400$ for cad and lathe. you can add mill and wire for extra $. i have a good mill setup so i'm only interested in the lathe software.

simon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:37:39 PM »
I looked on the UK site and it is £800($1300) for level3 which I think is what you need for Turn, will have to look at the USA site.

Hood

Edit
 Just found the USA price, $1000, thats $300 cheaper than I can get it in the UK and the head office is just about 80miles from me, bloody typical of ripoff UK.
Also no mention of Mach discounts on UK site :(
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:44:15 PM by Hood »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 06:53:21 PM »
Simon,
I tried the lathe module out and it is nice. The hobby price is a bit steep $400 or so.
The problem with it is, ..........the same as any other program. You need to think in terms of how you are
going to do the machining, be able to apply the lathe tooling appropriately, have your machine somewhat automated.
If your not setup, say to use repeatable quick change tool holders or an automated tool changer.....then your back to a a semi- auto / manual operation of the machine and don't fully utilize the software.

That said, you can do all the same work using LazyTurn and Lazycam Turn. So if your a hobbiest, $75 sounds so much better.

I did find Dolphin lathe to be intuitive and easy to use. I also found it had problems with pathing on some of the stuff that i tested LazyTurn with. It's good but only as good as the user using the tool!

So i would suggest you try out Lazyturn and LazyCam  ( both have a manual ). If your in a buisness then skip those
since they are not meant to compete with high end stuff.
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:01:48 PM »
Simon, just wondering if you contacted them to see if Turn module was available in the Mach offer or is it just Mill. The UK site doesnt seem to offer a Mach deal.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
it is not realy a mach deal. the turn module is a stand alone product to generate the g code, you then have to open the file in mach like any other cam software. you have to download the trial version, then a day later you will receive a email asking if you tried it. you then reply you like it but its too expensive for a hobby use, they will then offer you a much better price.

btw, i did a lot of test with it and it seems very solid and easy to learn. the cad part is the weekest part of it, but if you already use a cad software you can transfer dxf file in the cam and start your program. it is good only for two axis and no live tooling tough.

simon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 02:47:19 PM »
I tried it late last night or should I say early this morning :D I couldnt get it to open a DXF, just kept saying class not registered then saying CAD wasnt installed or has not been run. Tried all sorts but never got it working, will have to give it another go.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »
even tough you are offered the possibility of importing dxf in the cam module, i had the same error message. you have to import dxf in the cad module, then select the profile that you want to machine, then open turn module.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »
Yes, did it that way last night and got some testing done. The video tutorial I watched showed the Import way so maybe its only an option with the full version.
Hood