Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:37:01 PM

Author Topic: He's just a Wile and crazy guy!  (Read 34569 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: He's just a Wile and crazy guy!
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 01:31:30 PM »
Hi Sam,

How did you produce the code for Wile.E.Coyote please ?.

It does truly run at a constant velocity on my machine - unlike some of the code I make, which has so many straight lines instead or arcs, that it slows down considerably.

This was never a problem with conventional engraving but is a real headache with laser engraving which relates speed and depth.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 05:30:18 PM »
I used splines in Solidworks, then used Mastercam for the toolpath. If memory serves correctly, I had to change some settings in Mastercam to get the desired results. I think finding out the different drawing methods that worked was half the battle. How are you doing your drawings?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 01:50:24 AM »
Thanks for the information Sam.

I am still in the dark ages using Adobe Illustrator and Acme Trace Art or TurboCad.

Tweakie.

PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 02:18:23 AM »
Na, dark ages is chisel and hammer. If it weren't for my role in my day job, I wouldn't be as fortunate, for sure.  What do you use for the g-code creation?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 04:28:27 AM »
Hi Sam,

I export as HPGL (which is where the arcs become the many straight lines) then convert this to the GCode with a simple converter program.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 06:45:08 AM »
I have just built a CNC router and am just getting ready to make my first "cuts".  I would like to carve this image, but have a question.  It is probably a trivial one, and I will try looking it up on my Mach 3 information, but this file has an NC extension, not a tap extension.  Does that mean that I need to do some post processing on it before it is ready to run?
Sawdust John
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 08:22:40 AM »
I should have said that most g codes that I have seen (admittedly, not too many) are either .tap files (in Mach 3) or .txt files  -- what is a .nc file?  I also tried changing the extension from .nc to .tap and "dry running" it (cutting air).  I found three things -- 1/ it is apparently in metric units and I am set up in inches, so it is quite large.  I can fix that with scaling in Mach 3 (I believe). 2/ It generates some error codes (end of arc, not coincident with start of next arc -- a close approximation to the actual message.)  3/  When I "run from here" in several of the segments, my machine just describes many circles -- with various starting points -- and an occasional straight line segment here and there and a few Z axis motions.  What am I missing here?  At this point, my learning curve is very steep.

Thanks,  Sawdust John (but no sawdust yet with my new shop built CNC Router)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
Hi John,

If you place a G21 at the start of the code then it will run in metric units. Then use the X and Y Scale DRO's to scale the image to the size you require.

The .nc file extention will load OK into Mach (select all file types) or, by all means, change the extension to .tap or .txt as you prefer.

You need to change your IJ Mode to the opposite of what you currently have set (Config ; General Config ; IJ Mode)

Hope this helps, Sawdust will soon be everywhere  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
Hello John,
The units are imperial (inch). The G20 at the top of the code determines this. The "toons.NC" file was meant to fill a piece of notebook paper. I think "WILE E COYOTE.NC" is around 6.5" X 4.5".
As far as the errors are concerned, that was totally my fault with sloppy code. There should be a "G91.1" in there after the first "G90", which sets 'incremental I-J-K mode'.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:21:15 AM by Sam »
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 11:33:53 AM »
Thanks so much for your replies.  I just put a coat of clear finish on my table top and so will not be able to actually make sawdust for a few more hours, but I will go to my shop now and do these config/edits and try another dry run.

Sawdust John