Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:06:47 AM

Author Topic: Mach3Turn - dimension troubles  (Read 3080 times)

Mach3Turn - dimension troubles
« on: July 18, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
Good afternoon all!

I am having sizing difficulties with both the Turn Wizards output and LazyTurn output.  What settings within Mach3 can introduce consistent offset differences?  I'm getting parts that are about 0.080" larger in diameter than desired.  This appears to be constant across the length of the part.

I have run through the positioning tests, you know, 50-100 iterations of full length extension and return with a dial indicator in place and see no more than 0.0005" variance.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated.  I've been through the Mach3Turn mnual multiple times and nothing jumps out at me.

Thank you,   Joe

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3Turn - dimension troubles
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »
Hi, Joe

Jog your X axis in .040 and re-zero your x axis should correct the .080 too large issue.

Sound's like your dxf X 1/2 profile High, Is .040 too large though, Post your dxf in LazyTurn section.

Chip
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:44:31 AM by Chip »

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:39:23 AM »
The problem in X is always the same - where is the lathe centreline - which most people have as their X axis.

Unfortunately, unless you spend a lot of time (and a little money) setting up home swithches, accurate quickchange tool posts, and then set up an accurate tool table, then everytime you start up, or change tools, you will have to find X0  again.

I have tried all sorts of things, but the only way I have found to do this accurately is to put a peice of old bar in the lathe, and take a cut along it. Measure this diameter accurately with calipers or micrometer, and then enter that diameter in your X DRO (or half that if you are in radius mode). As a check then move x in by 10 or 20 thou, take another cut, and see if the DRO and the actual diameter correspond.

I have been turning a lot over the weekend (locomotive axles) and once I had set this up, I run through the first axle and check the next to last cut and see if the DRO's are still accurate - and then finish. Once I was satisfied with the first one, the rest were turning to within 0.02 mm, which according to me is less than 1 thou.

I do have home switches fitted, and a quick change toolpost, and a tooltable, but I still take a cut and check the diameter before I sart a days work.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »
Joe,

May have an offset in the tool table, CONFIG>TOOLTABLE... will bring up the table and you can check.
Also you can Zero World X & Z, located in the Manual screen, and that will remove any work offset offsets.
CONFIG>FIXTURES will bring up the work offset table if you want to check.

Just something you can check.

RICH