Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:36:18 AM

Author Topic: Art of CNC as DRO  (Read 4820 times)

Art of CNC as DRO
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:02:30 AM »
A bit confused as a newbie..

Looking to get the Bridgeport 9x42 converted over and the DRO that was attached has met it's maker. What do I need between the linear encoders and the software to interface the two to use the software as a DRO?? The linear encoders are Mitutoyo's and supposedly have the quadrature output??

Any help is greatly appreciated..

I've bought some NEMA 42 steppers and and ball screw shopping so hopefullly we can convert two axes over within the month. Until then I simply hoping to use software as a DRO..

Cheers,

T
Re: Art of CNC as DRO
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 12:55:26 PM »
Ron sells a board that will take the encoder in :) I can't seem to find ron's web page but Hope some one here can post it ...
Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:41:45 PM »
Thanks Brian.
Looks like after a bit more reading I can use the GRex board as an interface.. Does this sound right? Although I'll be into Mach 4 beta instead of Mach 3..

By the way, what is Ron's last name..??

Cheers,
Tony

Hood

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 01:26:19 AM »
the address for Ron is www.rogersmachine.net
 I thought it might be possible just to connect direct to the parallel port or through a breakout board, but have not tested it out and by the looks of Brians answer it seems not.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 11:42:50 AM »
You could use the Grex.. .but the DRO's are too slow... The new firmware will fix this :)

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 06:45:26 AM »
Hey Brian,

Thanks for the help..

I'm a little unclear what you mean by the new firmware? Is that something you guys wrote for the Grex?? And if so is that available now or a down the road item>>

Cheers,

Tony
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 07:47:31 AM »
The firmware is the code in the Grex... We don't write that :( Steve H. is the one that is working on it... I know he is working on it but I have no idea when it will be done.

Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com