Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:47:57 PM

Author Topic: Gecko 540  (Read 4511 times)

Gecko 540
« on: July 11, 2009, 08:32:44 PM »
I am using a Smooth Stepper, Gecko 540 and Mach 3 software. I had my new homemade cnc running a program from Mach 3 and after running it about 20 minutes I was pleased and decided to mount the electronics into a box and after disconnecting the wiring to mount them in the box I rewired the unit but when I turned the equipment on again I had no lights lit on my Gecko 540.  I checked the Pico fuse and discovered it was blown. I didn't have a good fuse to replace the blown one so whats the chances I still have a good Gecko 540 when the fuse gets here? I am hoping the unit fuse will blow and not  be damaged even if I wired it in reverse.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Gecko 540
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:15:53 PM »
I would recommend you call Gecko or check out their web site as they can tell you exactly how to test the drive to see if it blown or still good.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:40:48 PM »
I talk to them Friday and the entire tech staff was in a seminar. The lady that answered the phone was fairly knowledgeable and told me where to find the pico fuse and I checked it and it had opened up. So she said they would send me two of them. I checked locally and no one had one. I just hope it will come back to life after I put the fuse in. I am so anxious to get it going.

I am just beginning to use Mach3. I was able to get a program to run without the router running and it never crashed so I am making progress. I noticed z axis was running in the wrong direction so I reversed the parameter.  I will have to get the full blown Mach3 because I believe I will buy Vcarve. I have the trial downloaded but it seems limited to use. I have a friend that was the head of programming at the same place I worked and we both are retired so he is coming over to take a look at it.  He is a g-code guru but I don't really want to go that route. Too late in life to become a student of learning g-code.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
Hopefully all will be well.
Resolve yourself to learning some Gcode as sooner or later, no matter what program you have, you may need to do some mocifications to the program for one reason or another.
RICH
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:14:14 AM »
I did have to learn some to be able check back lash etc. I just don't want to depend on it to write the entire program.  I did change the program out of Mach 3 to allow it to safely run.

I went to the Gecko website and ran the checks to determine the condition of the drive and hopefully it is OK. Everything checked out. I took pride in my caution during my career but for some unknown senior moment I allowed my eagerness to over come my normally cautious nature. 

Reading all the information on the web is a little overwhelming as to the way different types of files can be used as programs. I need to attend a "hands on" class on the subject.