Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:11:46 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 to replace Fanuc  (Read 8786 times)

Mach3 to replace Fanuc
« on: July 09, 2009, 08:59:28 AM »
Hello.

I lost my head and bought 3 big industrial machines with 10 years old for a good price, they have worked for 6 years. All have fanuc motors, amplifiers, spindle controllers and so on. One have fanuc 21i-t and the others 18i-t. I have power on the machines and the servo amplifiers went to a ready state and the controller also seams to be working fine, but now I started to clean the machines and will probably simplify the machines. Since I am confortable with mach3, and not with the fanuc controllers, I am thinking in replacing the fanuc controller with mach3 in case that I will have problems in putting the machines to work (something broken or impossible for me to putting it to work).
It is a straight approach to use all the fanuc present in the machine exept the controller?
Motors and amplifiers are ok, so I would only replace the controller. Is this possible and recommended ?

Thank you all.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 to replace Fanuc
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:56:13 AM »
The fanuc drives will almost certainly be analogue input so you will need to convert the step/dir from Mach to + - 10v. There are a few options which you could use, one is the rutex converteres but I have never heard of anyone using them. Another option would be the DSPMC, have heard of quite  a few people using it and all seem to be pleased with the results.

Hood

Offline wil

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:20:35 AM »
I use the 18iT everyday at work. This Fanuc controller is absolutely rock solid, never misses a beat
and has never gone wrong. If I put this against our other machine which has a Seimens 840d control
and in comparisson is a plie of junk.
One thing though, the 18iT has an onboard CAP programming system which is pretty useless, I do all my
code on the pc and import it into the fanuc. I believe the 21i has the programming system called Manual Guide which did look really nice when I saw a demo of it. 3D graphics and all.
I`d be tempted to try use the controller as is.
And dont forget Mach3 is based on Fanuc.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:18:42 PM »
Only the really older systems 3, 6 & some 0's used analogue, since then Fanuc have gone digital, also the AC motors cannot be used as-is due to the commutation method.
Get them going and you should be ahead of the game.
Nosmo

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 02:11:29 AM »
Thanks to the replys.

I have power up the machine and they all seam to be working, at least the controller and the motor drives, since I got a ready state on all drives, so the biggest problem (motor or drive damaged) is probably gone.
Nevertheless I do not have experience with fanuc OR I do not have a single person or company near that can give a little help to get going - for example - after the power on I wanted to move the machine(s) and I did not know how to. There is a forum for fanuc users ?
One of the machines is all "american" it passed through a company called merithech were they have changed electrical and physical of the machine to do a specific job. Lots of hydraulics were putted on the machine, that are now spares to me.
Thanks.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:09:27 AM »
Do you not have the Fanuc Operator manuals? you will need these at least.
Many that purchase used machines forget to have the documentation included with the purchase.
Most important is the Parameters, if you do not have a copy, download them ASAP.
As well as Fanuc, you will need the OEM manuals for control schematics, ladder etc.
If you need Fanuc Op Man, send me an e-mail.
N.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:11:23 AM by NosmoKing »