Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:33:46 AM

Author Topic: Should I remove the running Milltronics1 control and put a Mach3 on?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
Hi, Just bought a Milltronics 1,  3 axis knee mill, 1997. the control is a 386sx , glenteck drives & motors.
I was going to rip the control out and install the mach3 but it runs great and it has conv, graphics, etc.
Should I switch to Mach3 or wait until it quits.
How much work would be involved in putting on the Mach3?
Would I need to use the DSPMC motion controller I bought for Vital, or can I use the Glenteck motors and drives?
Will the Mach3 only operate from the parallel port or ethernet?
Regards, Ray.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 08:51:17 PM by dresda »

vmax549

Re: Should I remove the running Milltronics1 control and put a Mach3 on?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:35:26 PM »
IF the machine runs and does what you need then I would leave well enough alone and run it until it quits.

BUT in the mean time I would start looking into the conversion. Getting all your ducks in a row so to speak.

Are the drives steppers or servos IF servos are they step/direction or ANALOG.  IF analog I believe there will a low cost conversion available shortly (;-)

SO it just depends(;-)

(;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 07:30:55 AM »
Agree totally with TP, if it does what you need and has the performance you need then stay with it.
Hood

Offline dresda

•  220 220
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:07:44 PM »
The servos are analog, that's why I bought the DSPMC motion controller from vital, not cheap, that was over $1000.
I do have another project with Fanuc analog drives and motors, so I can use it on that.
Thanks.