Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:56:51 AM

Author Topic: new computer >> strange noise from steppenmotors  (Read 10913 times)

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
Re: new computer >> strange noise from steppenmotors
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »
Cor

i read your post and i watched your vids. your vids show your machine operating at two differant speeds. your vids show that all three axis thump at the higher speeds with the faster computer. my suggestion is to unmount any motor, hold it in your hand
and operate it with the new computer. see if the motor runs smooth and if thump is still there or it went away. this way you eliminate the mechanical side of it. does the machine miss steps at the higher speed ? if it does not miss steps you could just run it and see what will wear out . run a couple of programs and see how they cut.

bill

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 09:07:27 PM »
Cor,
Don't spend money on a card wthout looking at the pulse else you may just be wasting your money. See if it's a 5volt output as Jeff noted.

This is interesting because as i write this,my friend just finished putting together a pc and guess what! Yep same thumping sound as yours and i know it all to well. That said.
I went over and did an install, config, etc and his steppers worked fine. Today when he went to use it / next day......bad pulses. I fooled some and reinstalled the driver and the machiine worked fine until i changed an acceleration setting. And back came the bad pulses. Could not fix itno matter what i tried as i have been down this bumpy road before.

So you are not alone, Cor, the only difference is that for myself after manny hours of screwing around i just bought a SS and did away with the problem.

What I have posted before and will say again is that "YOU JUST NEVER KNOW if A PC WILL WORK THESE DAYS".

BTW my friends old slow dead dog 400 MHZ machince ran his machine just fine and no problems ever.

Stay tuned,
RICH

Offline cor

•  23 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 02:21:38 AM »
@docltf: don't worry about the different speeds.The video without the thumbs was the the very very first test with my machine, obviously i run it at extremely low speed. The video I posted was just for reference in the sound. (so you could easily identify the sounds difference).  I really can not imagine that 3 steppenmotors can have a defect at the same time, especially when i changed another crucial component in the system. I only suspect it has something to do with the new computer, that's the only thing which make sense.

Although i have to say I know Murphy (from murphy's law) very well...... so... :-) I will keep your solution in the back of my head, but will only check this at a last resort, when nothing helps with the new computer I will first build up my old computer again.

@ Rich: Thanks for the input, I will first check the pulse. I have an older video card still at home, it should be no problem to put that one in.

-How do I check the output V, just put a voltmeter in the hole?
-which mode should the driver be (epp, ecp............)?
- how do I optimize the computer/windows (xp) for mach3.
-my brother in law came with a solution putting in a new/external parallelport instead of the build one......could that be a solution?

thanks people,
Cor

ps unfortunately not at home untill next wednesday, the troubleshooting has to wait :-(

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 06:32:55 AM »
cOR,
-How do I check the output V, just put a voltmeter in the hole?

Disconnect the PP cable from the computer to the controller.
Put one lead to a step or direction pin and the other lead of the meter to ground. As you jog
the machine you will see the voltage change. You really should look at it with an oscilloscope this way
you see not only the voltage change but also what the pulse signal looks like.

- how do I optimize the computer/windows (xp) for mach3.
look for the file called OPTIMIZE.TXT here is the link:

ftp://ftp.machsupport.com/   in Extra information

I am not sure it will help but worth a try.

--my brother in law came with a solution putting in a new/external parallelport instead of the build one......could that be a solution?

Maybe. If the computer puts out a pulse with a ghost signal  / riding on / ringing on the original pulse i doubt  
it will do any good. No BOB, filter, etc is going to get rid of it, well not easily anyway.

You may be able to put a different video card in and "maybe" physicaly jumper out the on board video.
I tried different PP cards and that didn't do any good ( you never know ).

You can try fooling with all the computer services but i didn't find anything out of the 50 of or so that had a positive affect.

Again look at your pulse stream as what i / we have may be different. Sorry can't be more specific. Like noted before, you just come a across a pc that puts out a bad pulse and have yet to find some specific cure. I don't want to send you circles.

BTw, my friends old pc puts out 3.3 volts along with a very clean pulse. The new pc puts out a 5 volt signal looked like poop!

One tell tale sign i did find, is that you can run at very slow velocitys like 1 to 4 inches / min, but you can still hear that knocking sound.

Good luck as we will still seek and destroy on our end,!  ;)
RICH

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 06:41:14 AM by RICH »

Offline cor

•  23 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 04:46:56 PM »
No luck so far :-(

Today I have tested:

-new video card (from the old PC)
-installed windows XP as "standard pc"
-Hyper threading off (in bios)

no change :-(

When I installed mach 3 with windows xp installed as "standard pc" MAch 3 didn't work, it run, but the ax-es remained where they were, also the dro's didn't move/change.

Next to that I tried most of the items described in  :"OPTIMIZE.TXT" but also no joy.

I might try a new paralellport instead of the onboard parallel port, but have to go to a computer shop first.

:-(,
Cor
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
I am having a similar problem buiding a new machine for a friend. It runs fine with the PC from my own machine but the motors are a bag of spanners with the "new" pc. I have another pc coming and will try that. When I run the driver test with the new pc it first says "pulsing too fast" then says system excellent at end of test.  ???

vmax549

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 03:07:22 PM »
What are you setting the kernal freq at 25,35,45,60??

When you go from a slow putor to a fast putor you will have to retune all the axis drives.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 03:13:45 PM »
Hi Vmax, both puters are similar spec and both systems set on 25 kernal.  ???

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 03:16:37 PM »
Measure the parallel port voltage, could be too low on the new.
Hood

vmax549

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 03:35:08 PM »
Try bumping the kernal freq up to 45 then restart.

(;-) TP