Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:44:47 PM

Author Topic: Digitizing  (Read 100306 times)

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
Digitizing
« on: August 21, 2006, 07:30:04 PM »
Hi Guys:

I promised soem photos of the digitized prop..

65000 points, 6 hours. .5mm grid..

Art

ynneb

Re: Digitizing
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 08:20:24 PM »
Is this digitizing done in a new function of Mach ?
Tell us about the process and the probe you used, etc.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 09:10:40 PM »
Hi Benny:

I was a bit brief wasnt I? :)

This was my test of th enew 3dProbing plugin. Its included in the latest versions. To use it, just turn it on in config/plugins, then restart. A new menu item "3d probing" will appear.
When you select it, you must have zeroed at the front left of your surface, doesnt matter where Z is, but it shoudl be 0 or less. Set a width and length of the surface, and a depth
for maximum probe stroke. The clearance shoudl be 1/5 of full probe deflection horizontally or less. .1mm is used above, this is th epullout distance on a collision. The point cloud above was made in
6 hours and comprises 65000 points or so. The completed point cloud was 95000 in 8 hours.

This is reported now to be up to 10 times faster than the old methods of probing in MAch3, thats a huge increase. Very easy to run, very nice poitn cloud output. Im kinda pleased..

Art

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 09:13:34 PM »
Oh, heres the point cloud if anyone woudl like to play with it..

Art

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 09:46:59 PM »
Will this work with a g-rex also or is this a lpt thing only?

Chad

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:14:43 PM »
Hi Chad:

I havent tried it on a g100 yet, Brian reports some trouble.. Ill be working on that soon..
but it really needs the next firmware for the speed of update..

Art

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 03:44:20 AM »
Ok cool, Have you given any more thought on a offsets edge finding probe plug in? I am trying to improve the accuracy of the 0,0 process. It sure would be nice to be able to just enter a probe diameter, and then jog into the edges and set the g54 or others.

As usual thanks for the awesome software!

Chad

Offline Shaun

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 04:45:36 PM »
Probe design this was based on an idea I got from http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/probe.htm I have used this lots of times to good effect, although I have since purchased at auction a Renishaw probe.
The attached jpg’s depict my version this will scan to a resolution of 0.2mm, the model is in Solidworks if any one requires this let me know, if enough are interest I am willing to convert the components to IGES or what ever format is preferable and possibly produce some Dimensioned drawings, the body is made form Aluminium, the hub from Engineering Nylon, the pins are 3mm silver steel, the Balls are 5mm, the probe tip I made from a Carbide Burr, others parts from the scrap bin, hope this helps. 

Shaun….

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 07:54:41 PM »
Shaun your pics make it hard to see the detail around the balls / switching area.

I know how they work. Looked at the probe site and have seen others.

Just curious how you have done the ball retention and pysical part of the circuit.

Great drawings by the way.

Offline Shaun

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 06:31:19 AM »
Here are the files in Solidworks format, IGES, I have also included a Solidworks Viewer file for people who dont have this software, and a brief notes file IGES files can be pulled into most Cad packages.

Hope this is of help.

Shaun

With electrical correction  :-*
See Cad Drawings Below :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 06:04:14 PM by Shaun »