Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:13:41 AM

Author Topic: Multiple DRO entries Help  (Read 3211 times)

Multiple DRO entries Help
« on: June 26, 2009, 02:54:40 AM »
When I first turn on my Bridgeport I home it. The sets the machine coordinates to X0 Y0, then I jog over to my vice which is at somewhere X7 Y5, I then zero my DROs so I can use it at the vice and reference what I'm cutting. But sometimes I use a vice stop for stock I use inbetween other programs.

SO my question is if I zero out my DROs for one thing, then load another piece of stock is there a way to set that new stock at X0 Y0 without losing the original X0 Y0 which is at a different location, then later after I machine the new part I can go back to the original X0 Y0 I set earlier. And if that can be done can I do it for let's say 5 different locations? I guess this would be like for setting jig locations, but I need them to read X0 Y0 because that's what I program in my CAD for the corner of the stock.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple DRO entries Help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 03:08:51 AM »
Your original will be the normal G54 offset, all you need to do for any others you wish is use another offset, there are 254 of them to use.
 If you go to the Offsets page you can choose the first six directly, simply jog to where you want the zero position to be, click for example G57 and then zero the axis. If you again click G54 you should see the DRO show the position the table was at before you zeroed, press G57 again and they should again show zero.
 You can do similar from the MDI line, to get the higher number offsets you type G59 P123 (The number after the P is the offset you wish)
 After you have the offsets stored you can then call which offsets to use either from MDI or preferably from your first line in the code.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 03:11:35 AM »
You could give a G54 for the first setup, G55 for a second, G56 for a third and G57 for the last one.

Mach3 can handle many of these.

Go to the offset screen, and choose between G54 up to G59.

Jeff
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:35:18 PM »
SWEET, thanks. I knew it had to be something simple. Great, right now I'm sick of setups so I'm using my outboard DRO kind of like an accurate Homing station. Every night I turn off my CNC I put it back to G53 X0 Y0, but now I'm thinking I don't need to home the machine at all and I can make the corner of my vice X0Y0 and go with offsets from there.

I tested out my cheap microswitces yesterday for homing and they weren't that accurate so I've decided to do what I said above, seems better. Also years ago on my CNC router I was concerned I was losing position when I turned the machine on in the morning as I heard the motors KICK. Now with the external DRO which reads down to .00009" that the kick in the motors is so slight the DRO doesn't move, so now I'm confident that I can turn the machine off at night and know that when I turn it back on I can continue working without loss of position.

Question on a Kurt Vice I take is the Jaws are hardened? If so what could I chuck in my mill to drill some location pins into it? Or if any of you have a suggestion other than a removeable jaw stop to make a permanenet location stop so setups will be consistent and accuate. Thanks.