Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:23:08 AM

Author Topic: Saving the Tool Table Changes  (Read 6757 times)

Saving the Tool Table Changes
« on: June 25, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
I have integrated a tool height probe & macro into my code.  It works flawlessly.  It calculates the height of the tool, updates the tool table, and I am able to use the new tool offset when I run my next program.

HOWEVER, when I exit Mach 3, all of the changes to the tool table are erased.

I have tried hitting "save settings" before closing, but that does not work either.

Is there a way to force a write to the tool table inside my VB script?

Help! ??? ???

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Saving the Tool Table Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 03:09:55 PM »
It should save fine, check that the Tools3.dat in you profile macro folder is not read only.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 03:32:06 PM »
The machine is running a job at the moment, so I dont want to mess with the computer.  But I assume that it is not read only because if I manually change an offset, hit "apply" - then "ok" - then "save settings" - then exit and reopen the program, the change is still there.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:38:05 PM »
Yes, it must be ok then. Do you not get a pop up screen asking if you want to save the tool table when you shut down?  Try going to General Config and checking the Optional Offsets and see if that works.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »
It does not ask about saving the tool table.  It does ask about saving fixtures when closing.

Optional Offset Save, Persistent Offsets, and Persistent DROs are all checked.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 05:13:42 PM »
Thats strange as Optional Offsets checked should mean you dont get the message at close to save the offsets, it should do it automatically, or at least I think thats the way it is from memory.
Hood

vmax549

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 10:32:40 PM »
COuld you post the code you used to do the update?

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 08:19:42 AM »
Vmax549,

I do not think there is anything wrong with the code segment, but here it is.  I set my router bits up with collars, so, once they are set, they do not change.  I can remove them from the router, put them back in, and as long as they collar contacts the collet, all is good.  So, you will see in my code segment that I initialize the machine before calibrating the height of the bit.  In other words, it is intended to be run as a separate program, not as a subroutine within the program.

I did some additional testing on the when it saves.  This is what I found.

Run the snippet ... Exit the program ... tool offsets are not saved
Run the snippet ... Run Config/Save Settings ... Exit the program ... tool offsets are not save
Run the snippet ... Go into the Tool Table ... Select APPLY ... Exit the program ... TOOL OFFSETS ARE SAVED

Apparently, although the tool table is updated within Mach by the snippet, they will not be written to disk unless I hit APPLY within the tool table.

vmax549

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 02:34:50 PM »
I wan't questioning the code just needed the example to test the same way you do it (;-)

Your approach USED to work just fine back when Art first created the settoolparam() call.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

vmax549

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 02:42:57 PM »
YEP it is definantly broken , YOU need to fill out a BUG report (;-)

(;-) TP