Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:17:54 PM

Author Topic: tool offset question  (Read 5151 times)

tool offset question
« on: June 21, 2009, 08:00:29 PM »
In Mach 3 offset window, there's a "tool offset on/off" button. What is it? I noticed that the "on" does not come on automatically when  the program that has two different tool lengths. What makes the "led" on come on automatically? And when should it be tuned on manually?

I use mastercam and , for some reason, whenever I try to run from the middle of the program using the "run from here" button,  the program automatically resets to the first line. Apparently, the "run from here" function does not appear to have any effect. Is there a check in the config  line that I am missing or is it in the program code?

Two separate questions, and if code is needed, I'll gladly provide it for clarification.
thanks in advance.
tc

Offline josh

•  101 101
    • View Profile
Re: tool offset question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:22:35 AM »
are you using the demo  because I think you have to have the full licence to use the button

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:28:35 AM »
I don't know about the tool offset button.

For the run from here -

Try the set next line button first.. The problem is, Mach has, on a restart to start at a point where it knows what it is, and which axis it is moving. I don't know Mastercam, but if it ignores the G1 (or G0) commands, and merely lists the moves on each line, then Mach will be a bit stuck understanding which axis to move and where.

If you pick a line, with "Set next line" that contains a full instrcution, then pick "Run from Here", Mach should run.

I use the demo version, and this runs the buttons properly, as I say, once you have picked where to start.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:04:20 AM »
Jim , the demo version does not support Run From Here so that is why you cant get it to work ;)
Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »
Good question. I have a license. But since you mentioned it, I've reinstalled Mach 3 after it no longer communicated with the input card. I don't remember how the light worked prior to this installation, although I had no trouble using it then. I am assuming that the license file is still in the folder and that the new installation didn't affect it. Am I right?

tc
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:54 AM »
I have a license. When I reinstalled the program, I did not bother placing the license file in the folder since I did not delete the folder. I simply reinstalled mach3 using its setup procedures.
I will check to see if the program is still in demo mode, which would explain the strange behavior.

thank you very much.
tc
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 10:17:12 AM »
I checked on the license, and it's in the folder. Proof of it is that my name shows up in the "about" window.

I did notice, though, that if I don't manually click the tool offset on/off switch, Mach 3 will disregard the offset that I've saved in the "save tool offset" file for that specific tool number.

This switch cannot be activated until mach 3 recognizes the new tool, and asks me to  press "cycle" again. At this point, I need to go into the offset window and press the offset off/on switch, which turns the green led light on. The program will then recognize the tool offset.  Clearly, I've got something missing somewhere....

tc
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:53:31 AM »
Clearly, I've got something missing somewhere....

tc

Hi TC,
I had some problems with TLOs and it was my programming.
I was writing the code T1 M06 G43 L1  (all on one line this confused Mach, somtimes the TLO would be applied and not others)

Now I write
T1 M06
G43 L1   (Split the command onto 2 sperarate lines)

Since then I have not had a single "glitch"

Hope that helps.

Derek
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:56:55 AM by derekbpcnc »
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"