Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:57:56 AM

Author Topic: have a old router table and plan for upgrade  (Read 6532 times)

have a old router table and plan for upgrade
« on: June 16, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
I am just a beginner and from ebay got a old camtech routermaster 52 and is working fine, but as you know this is 1990 design with a controller to push F4 to set bit height and F7 to set depth etc, I have to send the OS to the controller to get the machine running,
I want to know with the structure in place, if I want to make it become direct control from Mach3 how difficult it is and how much money needed to do this?
right now all the stepped motor is working, the Z axis can only be use to cut or not cut only no real 3D stuff can be done, and I use it for cut, since this is all I can do, but I want to do more, sign as engrave sign etc.
give me some link or suggestion what I should do.
thanks.

the table is 52x102" good size to me, and I clamp a good router on it and manually turn it on and off for cutting plastic right now.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: have a old router table and plan for upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:21:09 PM »
Hard to say as I dont know anything about them, its possible that all you would need to do is a bit of rewiring to get the X and Y working from Mach. It could also be that you need new drives/motors etc, so it could cost from nothing but time to $500 or more. Do you have any pics or wiring diagrams that you can attach, would give a better idea.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 07:02:39 PM »
HERE is the link of the picture for the router table,
please make suggestion to me
http://picasaweb.google.ca/output123/Router?authkey=Gv1sRgCOuE65qe7tiA6QE&feat=directlink

if I am interest to add a laser for cutting metal, plastic, paper, wood etc, what is that involve and what do I need to make it work.
I need some know how to know what is the starting point and how much I should budget for this.
thanks.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »
I have a RM25 router that had the same type of controller you have.  I converted it to Mach3 now it does ~400IPM and full 3d.  Here is what you need to do.  Sell the controller from your router on eBay, I got over $150 for mine.  Keep the motors and buy new stepper drives like geckos-- http://www.geckodrive.com/products.aspx?n=520753
You can probably use the G251 it is the least expensive or if you need the machine to have higher speed rapids use the G201.  Get a breakout board from cnc4pc.com model C1G, this board connects the pc to the Gecko motor drives and limit switched and spindle on off relay.  Also need a power supply for the motor drives that you can make your self from a transformer or buy one.

Here are a few videos of the router: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j341ucSZIwU&feature=channel

Dennis

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »
well you have the same router table, and your machine look great. thanks for the info.
on your machine are you using G251 or G201, I like the speed you are running now.
where is the good place to buy power supply for the step motor that I have?
I guess you get some case to put all the power supply and geckodrive together, if you don't mind I want to see what is the best way to layout all this too.
thanks.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:20:36 PM »
I got a power supply on eBay just need to keep checking when one you need comes around.  Here are more pictures of the setup,  I used the pc case that had the computer in it to hold the break out board drives and power supply.  I have IMS drive they are pretty much exactly the same as the Gecko G251 they are 3.5A 35 volt.

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40870&highlight=rm25+router