Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 03:39:16 AM

Author Topic: What The World's Been Waiting For - Yet Another Power Drawbar Design  (Read 124423 times)

Re: What The World's Been Waiting For - Yet Another Power Drawbar Design
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »
The Mach1 system reveals the secret here.  There are really two issues to consider.

First is locking the tool holder to the mill.  That's going to be a function of the surface area of the R8 taper and the pull force.  I am not too surprised that 600 lbs suffices for that force, even with quite a lot of "work" being done by the spindle. 

But there is a second force, and the way it works is hugely counterproductive to the first.  That second force is the squeeze on a collet to hold the tool.  It doesn't exist with solid tool holders, and it is the reason the Mach1 system has that special R8 collet holder.  It's purpose is not only to squeeze the collect down on the tool and not only to provide a reference datum so Z is repeatable.  It's alternate purpose is to provide a clean r8 taper surface on the tool.  You can see this clearly on the patent illustration:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=8mgWAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4

Why is this so important?  Because the deformation of the collet as it locks down on the tool really interferes with its ability to make good contact with the R8 taper.  If you think of bluing tapers, there is no way in heck that there is much precision in that interface.  So now the drawbar force must not only provide sufficient clamping, but it must also combat the reduced surface area and hence friction of the collet in the taper.  The Mach1 system avoids all of that.

Folks get started on these air-cylinder only systems because they seem simpler than an impact wrench system.  But they're really not unless you're prepared to live with a huge amount of drawbar tension, and even then I wonder how well they are going to work with a facemill or a large silver and deming bit.  People keep saying that this has been tried over and over, and it has.  The drawbar manufacturers would love a simpler cheaper mechanism, if only one would work.  Yet they keep shipping impact wrench based systems for R8, or special patented tricks like Mach1.

What I will tell you is that a rookie machinist can build an impact wrench system in an afternoon and it won't suffer from any of these problems.  It can be completely automated for use in an ATC if desired.  It's simpler and cheaper.  Your biggest challenge for the ATC is that you'll be using solid R8 holders which don't have a standard interface for the ATC carousel.  That's no big deal.  You'll need to fab some collars for the tooling that serves that purpose.  Meanwhile, you will be saving a fortune on TTS holders and you'll have a more rigid system to boot.

Cheers,

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
The Mach1 system reveals the secret here.  There are really two issues to consider.

First is locking the tool holder to the mill.  That's going to be a function of the surface area of the R8 taper and the pull force.  I am not too surprised that 600 lbs suffices for that force, even with quite a lot of "work" being done by the spindle. 

But there is a second force, and the way it works is hugely counterproductive to the first.  That second force is the squeeze on a collet to hold the tool.  It doesn't exist with solid tool holders, and it is the reason the Mach1 system has that special R8 collet holder.  It's purpose is not only to squeeze the collect down on the tool and not only to provide a reference datum so Z is repeatable.  It's alternate purpose is to provide a clean r8 taper surface on the tool.  You can see this clearly on the patent illustration:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=8mgWAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4

Why is this so important?  Because the deformation of the collet as it locks down on the tool really interferes with its ability to make good contact with the R8 taper.  If you think of bluing tapers, there is no way in heck that there is much precision in that interface.  So now the drawbar force must not only provide sufficient clamping, but it must also combat the reduced surface area and hence friction of the collet in the taper.  The Mach1 system avoids all of that.

Folks get started on these air-cylinder only systems because they seem simpler than an impact wrench system.  But they're really not unless you're prepared to live with a huge amount of drawbar tension, and even then I wonder how well they are going to work with a facemill or a large silver and deming bit.  People keep saying that this has been tried over and over, and it has.  The drawbar manufacturers would love a simpler cheaper mechanism, if only one would work.  Yet they keep shipping impact wrench based systems for R8, or special patented tricks like Mach1.

What I will tell you is that a rookie machinist can build an impact wrench system in an afternoon and it won't suffer from any of these problems.  It can be completely automated for use in an ATC if desired.  It's simpler and cheaper.  Your biggest challenge for the ATC is that you'll be using solid R8 holders which don't have a standard interface for the ATC carousel.  That's no big deal.  You'll need to fab some collars for the tooling that serves that purpose.  Meanwhile, you will be saving a fortune on TTS holders and you'll have a more rigid system to boot.

Cheers,

BW

Bob,

You seem to "know" things that nobody else seems to know.  For example, the required drawbar tension.  I looked high and low, and could find *nobody* that could give me anything more concrete than numbers they pulled out of the air.  I even asked Tormach - had several e-mail exchanges with several of their engineers, in fact - and THEY have no idea!  They asked me to send them any information I come up with!  So, I went with what I had, and best guesses, which turned out to be too low.  I looked at what Hoss and others did (only 500#, BTW), and assumed I'd need at least twice that, due to the far more aggressive cuts I can take.  Even that estimate was too low, by a factor of 2-4.  So, had I had a good number at the outset, I never would've gone down this road.

Saving a fortune on Tormach holders?  I always planned to make my own, so cost was almost $0.  No savings at all there.  The commercial drawbars out there are just that - drawbars.  I don't think any of them, even the Mach1, are intended for use in an ATC, so it's apples and oranges.  Were I after nothing more than a power drawbar, I would've built the impact wrench kind a LONG time ago.  It's cheap, simple, and works.  But it's *not* well suited to an ATC, which was always my goal.

As for "this has been tried over and over" - I've spent most of my career doing things most others told me could not be done.  And, more often than not, I've succeeded.  So, for me, the fact that nobody else succeeded is hardly reason to scrap the whole idea, unless I know *why* the others failed.  In this case, I did not, so I decided to give it a try and learn for myself.  If nothing else, I've learned a few things that I'm sure will come in handy down the road somewhere.  And I still believe this approach *can* be made to work, and the cost would not be THAT much more than the impact wrench kind.  I can now see good solutions to *all* of the problems., even the high drawbar force requirement.  It's now down to whether the additional time, money, and effort to do it is worthwhile, given that I have no shortage of other projects I need to get to.  I may well go ahead with something else for now, and complete this in the background.  It absolutely CAN be done - I have no doubt of that at this point.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2009, 06:23:20 PM »
Ray, I'm not the first one to tell you this, and you aren't the first one to try.

But hey, I admire your spirit.  Show us how to make it work.

What I haven't heard is why the impact wrench is so poorly suited to an ATC, because it does solve all these problems and is a proven design.

Best,

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2009, 06:35:25 PM »
What I haven't heard is why the impact wrench is so poorly suited to an ATC, because it does solve all these problems and is a proven design.

Best,

BW

And also works very well, the toolchanger I have aquired for the Beaver mill was originally fitted to a Matchmaker and that uses the impact wrench type power drawbar. When I went to see the toolchanger I was amazed at how well the impact wrench worked, just wish I had taken a vid of it working before the changer was removed.
Hood
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »
Below is a solution to the release force problem - a very compact and simple mechanical force multiplier.  The green housing is stationary (attached to the power drawbar structure)  The conical piece is connected directly to the piston of the air cylinder, with the air cylinder pushing straight downward.  The cup-shaped part is the plunger that presses on the top of the drawbar to release the tool.  The red shows the position when the tool is engaged, the blue when the tool is released.  Basically, the air cylinder pushes the conical piece down.  This causes the ball bearings to roll along the surface of the conical piece, and at the same time outward along the ramps on the housing.  This motion forces the plunger downward.  As drawn, this provides a 10:1 mechanical advantage, which means my existing 490# air cylinder would generate almost 5000# of downforce, with 0.150" of travel.  The rest of the assembly remains exactly as it is now, with the (now very short - only 2") - guide tube added to the top of the spindle, the same mechanism to prevent that 5000# force from being applied to the spindle bearings, and the same mechanism to "pop" the collet free from the taper.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2009, 06:57:11 PM »

Best,

BW

And also works very well, the toolchanger I have aquired for the Beaver mill was originally fitted to a Matchmaker and that uses the impact wrench type power drawbar. When I went to see the toolchanger I was amazed at how well the impact wrench worked, just wish I had taken a vid of it working before the changer was removed.
Hood

Hood,

So I assume the alignment pin in the spindle has to be removed?  I've always been curious what prevents the drawbar from getting cross-threaded?

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »
The Matchmaker was an Int 40 taper so no alignment screw in that.
  I had an Aussie Power Drawbar on my manual Bridgeport years ago, crossthreading  never happened in all the years I used it.
Hood
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »
The Matchmaker was an Int 40 taper so no alignment screw in that.
  I had an Aussie Power Drawbar on my manual Bridgeport years ago, crossthreading  never happened in all the years I used it.
Hood

Hood,

Oh, I thought you were saying it was R8.  Now it makes more sense.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

vmax549

« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2009, 09:47:22 PM »
Ray I have used R8 for a LONG time and I NEVER depended on the R8 collet to hold anything(;-) tool creep was always a problem UNLESS you pulled the drawbar like a madman. NOW an R8 toolholder with a collet set was OK as the nut contained the tool quite well.

With a R8 toolholder just a snug up and it was fine. Never really figure out why the R8 collet came about other than just cheap.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2009, 10:03:35 PM »
Ray I have used R8 for a LONG time and I NEVER depended on the R8 collet to hold anything(;-) tool creep was always a problem UNLESS you pulled the drawbar like a madman. NOW an R8 toolholder with a collet set was OK as the nut contained the tool quite well.

With a R8 toolholder just a snug up and it was fine. Never really figure out why the R8 collet came about other than just cheap.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Terry,

Interesting - For endmills, I've never used anything but collets, and never had one move on me....

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.