Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:04:28 PM

Author Topic: Need help with tool turret on lathe  (Read 10880 times)

Need help with tool turret on lathe
« on: June 14, 2009, 12:48:54 AM »
I need some help to get my 8 position tool changer turret working on my lathe. I have it wired with two inputs and two outputs. One input homes the turret to spot #8. the other input indexes it one position per pulse. Keep that input on and it will keep advancing without locking. I have two outputs. One pulses at each position and the other changes state when the turret is locked.

How the heck do I program this??? I have never used brains or macros. HELP!!!

-Jerry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with tool turret on lathe
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 02:11:02 AM »
Need more info, how is the turret driven, stepper, servo, dc motor, AC induction? What exactly is the routine that you have to do to  control, ie what sequence do the outputs and inputs work and what are the outputs (inputs to turret) actually working?

Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
Turret is driven with a 24v DC motor and is all currently running with relay logic. So all I need at this point is Mach to send the signal the turret to home and then index it to the correct position. It has feedback for each index spot and lock.

So all it takes is a pulse on one input home, pulse on the other to index and the software needs to monitor two outputs from the changer, one when it gets to a position and one when the changer is locked and ready to cut.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »
I presume you will want the home to happen just after you have started Mach and are referencing the axis? If so then you would just add the VB to the Ref All button.
 For the index you would add the code to the m6start.m1s macro.
You say it has feedback for each index spot yet only two outputs (inputs to CNC) what form does the signal for each index position take?
My turret has six tools and there are 3 switches that indicate which position it is in so if yours was similar you could probably just adapt my macro to suit.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
Yep, home at Mach startup. And mach needs to know that it is at position 8 at startup/home.

It only has three switches. One switch signals home and the other signals at each position and the last shows the turret is locked. So mach needs to count the pulses to know where it is at. Sorry I didnt explain that more clear. The way I said it made it sound there was one switch for each position.

Peter Homann has a changer that operates similar to mine except only 4 positions. You can see it in this picture.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 07:54:10 AM »
Afraid I am not good enough at VB to use counters which is probably the easiest way to go, although possibly you could write to a DRO to add one  on each Lock Signal and use that to count which station it is at, you would need to have your VB reset to 1 after 8 has been reached.
 Have you asked Peter how he has done his? even if he does it via his ModIO I would think the VB in his M6 would still work with slight modification.

Hood

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:39:28 AM »
also, does your turret go forward and backward?  If it goes forward only, does it move back into a lock position, give DETAILED operation sequencing.......

scott
fun times

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 09:27:02 AM »
Scott, from the way I am understanding it now all he needs is a signal for X seconds to start the routine then the internal logic of the changer does its work and then finally sends a signal when its locked. First part is easy enough but a counter  of some sort would be needed to count the amount of Lock signals so it knows which tool its at.
 If it was mine and if it was possible I would be adding some extra  switches so it knew exactly which tool position it was in, that would make the macro easy but more importantly, for me, would add a bit more safety to it in case a count was missed. That may not be an easy thing to do though so.......

Hood
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 03:55:47 AM »
It all works now! Went to Peter Homann and got one of his ModIOs. He wrote a custom firmware for the turret. Couple little bugs but those have been sorted out now.

Here's little video.

1/2-13 threads in aluminum 2000RPM

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YKb2g5xalEk&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YKb2g5xalEk&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0</a>
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:57:20 AM by macona »

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 09:12:23 AM »
Hahahahahaha,

Now THAT is awesome!!!!!!!!!   Pete you get a "U DA MAN" and you to for a slick lathe, man that is nice.

scott
fun times